(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: help! Running toilet won't stop!

Default help! Running toilet won't stop!

I have this very annoying constant running water problem with my toilet that just started today. I've dealt with these in the past but they usually had to do with adjusting the chain or the floater thing. In this case, the water won't stop, even temporarily no matter what I do. Even if I shut off the toilet water supply, it still runs!! I have to shut off the main water supply to my entire house to keep the toilet from running.

Please Help me!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You may need to replace a flapper.

If the water is not going over the overflow tube, the flapper is leaking.
    The toilet will continue to fill.

If the water is going over the overflow tube, then the fill valve is not shutting off. Then the fill valve may need repair or replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    You may need to replace a flapper.

If the water is not going over the overflow tube, the flapper is leaking.
    The toilet will continue to fill.

If the water is going over the overflow tube, then the fill valve is not shutting off. Then the fill valve may need repair or replacement.
    The water is going over it so I'm pretty sure the fill valve is not shutting it off.

But the thing that bothers me the most is that the water still fills up even when the toilet water supply (that comes out of the wall near the floor) is turned off. I didn't think that was even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by icer123 View Post
    But the thing that bothers me the most is that the water still fills up even when the toilet water supply (that comes out of the wall near the floor) is turned off. I didn't think that was even possible.
    Either your stop valve is leaking or you don't have it shut off all the way.

That happens often. I would replace the shut off next to the toilet.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick88 View Post

That happens often. I would replace the shut off next to the toilet.
    I figured this should be replaced.

Is it possible that I am experiencing two separate problems? One is the water supply valve leaking water out and the other is the fill valve not stopping the flow into the toilet?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Yes, sounds like you have two problems. If it is a farily standard toilet, replace the fill valve, the hose to it from a new shutoff. Then put in a new flapper, and the toilet controls are essentially new. Should last a long time. Use a 1/4-turn shutoff, and it should still work when this happens again. Those with washers ususally fail over the years, and then don't work when you need it to.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014