removing scratches from new sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Michaela521

Reaction score
Hi there,

Got some scratches on my new stainless steel kohler sink. It was an expensive one too. Would a green scotchbrite pad with Bar Keepers Friend cleanser scrubing with the grain of the steel do the trick or should I use something else. Not sure if the green will make it worse or help etc. thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I doubt the pad or BKF will have any real effect at all. Stainless is hard.

If your sink did not come with a bright, smooth finish, you might try some very fine automotive valve-grinding compound to blend the scratches in just a bit.

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
depends on depth of scratch

If the scratches are not to deep you can use automotive rubbing compounds with super fine grit wet sanding. The sanding portion comes first and then to get the shine back the rubbing compound is used. The real trick is to make sure you follow the current grain of the stainless. If it is circular than you have to follow the circular patter. If it straight follow that patteren. Going across the stainless grain will make it look worse. It does take patience and some elbow grease but I have had good success with this method.

Hope this helps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks