Riser

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The riser that goes up from my meter, to join the line at the top of the house is deteriorating.

Since it is before the meter, I asked the electric company to replace it. They said it was my responsibility, since their responsibility ends where the line is joined to my roof.

Can this be right?

They suggested I contact a registered contractor to change the wire.

Obviously I would not attempt to do this kind of work myself, but how would an electrician replace the riser? Would he just work with the live cable or is there a way for him to disconnect the main supply?

And I am shocked that any company would allow contractors to play with anything before the meter, since this would involve disconnecting the riser from the meter. Are electricians familiar with this kind of work?

And what could I expect for an estimated cost? And who do I look for to do it? This job could potentially kill a cowboy.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
This is the job for someone with experience and I would consider outside the realms of a Do-It-Yourself job.

By changing the meter pan and riser this is a quick and simple job.

The price will be whatever the market will allow in your area.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks and I have no intention of going near it, since in the US you do not have any fuses before the panel. Crazy.

I am reassured to hear that this may be a simple job. I am just interested in how an electrician would go about this. Would he work with the wire hot or would I need to call the electrical company to disconnect the service for him?

Last edited:

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The electrician would disconnect the service at the roof (drop) replace the pipe and maybe even the wire inside and put the wires back together.

Don't feel tempted to tackle this. Fried people don't smell very good.

Which reminds me that "fried anything isn't always good"

Tom

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks and very interesting. I do not have a pipe. Just cables, that on the riser look like they have been wrapped in steel-wire reinforced rubber. The outer rubber is coming off showing the steel wire reinforcement.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The POCO is completely correct. You are typically responsible for everything from the taps down. Being before the meter itself is irrelevant.
And yes, we know how to deal with stuff like this. We do it every day.

Ian Gills said:
Thanks and very interesting. I do not have a pipe. Just cables, that on the riser look like they have been wrapped in steel-wire reinforced rubber. The outer rubber is coming off showing the steel wire reinforcement.
That is NOT steel reinforcement. That is the grounded conductor of your service cable.
Once a service cable gets to this point a full service replacement/upgrade is usually necessary.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
This is as simple as:

Remove the meter and take the load side conductors off.
Remove screws hold old meter base to wall and swing out of the way.
Install new meter base and riser connecting to the conductors that supply panel

Install jumpers from load side of old meter base to new meter base jumping new meter base with flattened bare #6

Reinstall meter in old meter base and call for inspection.

The only time that the house would be without power would be short and no one has handled an energized conductor.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
jwelectric said:
This is as simple as:

Remove the meter and take the load side conductors off....

This can get you arrested in some areas. Leave it to a pro.

You say nothing of disconnecting power. Are you suggesting they work it hot? Even removing the meter can cause arcing, as the meter is not a disconnect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks