what's behind the thermostat??

Users who are viewing this thread

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
On my electric water heater, I was able to drain and remove lower element to gain access and clean out the mineral build-up at the bottom of the tank. I now have a gas model (Bradford White Defender) and was wondering if there's a big enough hole behind the thermostat to scoop out the crud.

My water has a lot of calcium. I'm planning to add a water softener, and thought it would be a good idea to have the plumber clean out the 2 year old tank when he installs the softener. I haven't contacted a plumber yet, but a friend said he doesn't think it's possible to clean a gas water heater.

What's the real story on this?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
clean it from the drain valve....

Why would you want to take out the thermostat that is
hanging about 10 inches up from the bottom of the tank???

All you have to do is unscrew the little brass faucet located at the very bottom of the tank and scrape out the lime with a flattened and bent piece of 3/8 copper pipe....

if your water heater is located in the garage or near a floor drain or sump pump, where water damage will not happen,,,
I would shut of the water to the heater and then do this procedure with the heater stilll full of water.......

you can really stir up some sediment of fthe bottom of the tank with water glugging out that faucet port

have barrels of fun....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The thermostat is 3/4" pipe thread, meaning the hole is about 1" ID. You wont get much out there. Use the drain valve.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the drain valve is plastic, rather than brass, it's possible to snap it off. If that happens, you'll need a nipple extractor to remove the broken piece.

It might be best to simply drain the tank and then flush it out for an hour or so by keeping the drain open while opening up the cold inlet valve.

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
The drain valve... hmmm... well, of course! No gas plumbing to remove :-> Also, it's brass, so no concerns about what Verdeboy said.

Unfortunately, the tank will need to be drained before the valve can be removed (heater is in a drywalled alcove in the garage, on a raised floor). Also, there's a gap between the tank and the outer shell so if water were allowed to drain directly from the valve port, it seems like it would spill into places where water shouldn't be.

Thanks for all the replies!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
if water were to get in places where it shouldnt be it will evaporate later and will not harm anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks