I'm installing a subpanel about 90' away from the main so I'd like a main breaker set up and a full cover (small child in house), and I anticipate installing about 8-10 household circuits. The problem is that all the breaker style boxes sold at retail stores only come with 100 amp (min) breakers, and I only want to run 40-50 amps. So far not one person at the stores can give solid advice... This will be inspected, so I need to plan it with good information.

So far I was planning on pulling 3-8 + ground to the sub... I been told that I can buy a main lug and backfeed it that that will take 2 spaces out of the panel.

Any thoughts on what panel to purchase?