(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seperated Lighting and Plug Circuits

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

One of the worst headache inducers (at least to me) is to have a computer monitor set to 60Hz refresh rate with florescent lamps...I REALLY hate that, and can't understand how people can live with it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Jim in the days of CRT monitors (OR SO LONG AGO) "Screen Shake" was an issue related to EMF either from location near a distribution transformer or from a EMF that was a result of a neutral grounding issue. I investigated and resolved 100's of these monitor problems. It would amaze me when customers would tell me "Oh this has been going on for 2 or 3 years." Ten minutes of looking at that monitor drove me BONKERS and gave me a headache.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Absolutely, a nearby transformer or nearly anything of sufficient size to generate a magnetic field can disrupt the display of a crt, but my point of having it set to a 60Hz refresh when florescent lamps are the main illumination has the thing slighly out of sync can be a real pain. With LCD displays becoming the norm, that isn't a factor much anymore. But, if you have one, almost any crt these days can support much higher refresh rates, and will look better and give your eyes less grief if you raise it in the setup to a minimum of 72Hz (which is the minimum EU standard, I think).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014