erratic water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

wrhunt

Reaction score
My water pressure in the shower and the tub acts normal for about three minutes and then drops off from about six gallons a minute to about three gallons a minute and then returns to normal. We bought the house about four months ago and the house is four years old. I know very little about plumbing and am looking for some possible direction on this issue

Thanks
Bill

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
wrhunt said:
My water pressure in the shower and the tub acts normal for about three minutes and then drops off from about six gallons a minute to about three gallons a minute and then returns to normal. We bought the house about four months ago and the house is four years old. I know very little about plumbing and am looking for some possible direction on this issue

Thanks
Bill

Knowing what state you live in and if you have city or well water. The brand of faucet is also help full.
Pressure problems show up in the tub/shower because a) the tub spout uses more water than other fixtures. b) We run the shower longer than other fixtures.
It could also be a tub/shower valve problem.

wrhunt

Reaction score
I am on a well system--- we live outside the city limits. I was wondering if it might be a problem with the pressure switch that is located just before the bladder( Surge tank ) ? Thanks for your feedback

Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With a typical well, what you are seeing is normal. The pump comes on, storing water in the tank until it reaches the upper limit. Then, shuts off. You use water from this storage system and the pressure drops until it gets to the lower limit on the switch which turns the pump back on. Depending on your usage, the pump capacity, and the storage, you might reach an equilibrium where the pump just keeps running until you turn off the shower, but usually, the pump can produce more than you are using so you go through this cycle. A cycle stop vavle or a variable speed pump can make the pressure more consistent. Check into the pump forum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks