9 inch rough in toilet needed... or ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

dhornick

Reaction score
Help. I’ve created myself quite a mess. We’re remodeling a down stairs bathroom. I removed what was a fine working no problem toilet with the thoughts that if we’re remodeling we might as well do it right and do it all. However, now I find out there are different rough in toilet sizes that come standard in 10, 12 and 14 inches. As best as I can tell mine is 9 and maybe 9.5 if I really stretch it. I have called all major plumbing supply houses in the area and even the manufactures but no one evidently makes a 9 inch rough in toilet.
The all say a 10 inch might work but â€might†is an awful expensive word to bank on. Any one have any ideas? :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Measure exactly how far it is from the mounting bolts to the finished wall. That is your rough-in dimmension. then, check the manufacturer's spec sheets for any toilets you are interested in. They will show how much gap there is between the toilet and the wall when installed on a standard rough-in. That is your leaway. Note, go to the wall, not the baseboard.

Move the drain, and this problem goes away.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Most 10" rough in toilets will have a gap between the wall and the back of the tank. On most toilets it is 3/4", so if you push a 10" up against the wall you can go as close of 9-1/4".

dhornick

Reaction score
Peanut9199 said:
Most 10" rough in toilets will have a gap between the wall and the back of the tank. On most toilets it is 3/4", so if you push a 10" up against the wall you can go as close of 9-1/4".

Thanks Peanut9199, this is what I'm leaning towards trying and really really hoping it works. After all there was a working toilet there before so something has to work.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks