Furnace venting inside a wall

Users who are viewing this thread

sctclimbs

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom. When I ripped out the shower stall I found behind the wall is my furnace vent pipe which is 7 in. diamter Type B gas vent pipe.. So rather having just a stud wall, the wall behind the shower was framed seperately 5 inches out from the framing of the other interior wall to allow enough space for the pipe plus the 1 inch gap on each side that is required clearance from combustable materials. I would really love to regain that 5 inches of space to allow for a larger shower. Can I just replace that section of vent pipe with an oval pipe that is designed to go inside stud walls?

sctclimbs

Reaction score
I screwed up, it is a 6 inch pipe. So can I just change it to a 6 inch oval?

Actually, the vent connector coming out of the furnace is 4 inch type B pipe. For some reason it then changes to 6 inch. The pipe serves only the furnace, no other appliances connect into it. I'm guessing when the old furnace was replaced they just kept the original 6 in. pipe in place. Am I wrong to think that I could change the entire vent system to 4 inch pipe with 4inch oval going thru that section of wall?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe....see if you can find the manual for the furnace and see what they require.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks