(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Furnace venting inside a wall

Default Furnace venting inside a wall

I am remodeling a bathroom. When I ripped out the shower stall I found behind the wall is my furnace vent pipe which is 7 in. diamter Type B gas vent pipe.. So rather having just a stud wall, the wall behind the shower was framed seperately 5 inches out from the framing of the other interior wall to allow enough space for the pipe plus the 1 inch gap on each side that is required clearance from combustable materials. I would really love to regain that 5 inches of space to allow for a larger shower. Can I just replace that section of vent pipe with an oval pipe that is designed to go inside stud walls?

I have not seen 8" oval. Amerivent seems to have only 4,5,6

I screwed up, it is a 6 inch pipe. So can I just change it to a 6 inch oval?

Actually, the vent connector coming out of the furnace is 4 inch type B pipe. For some reason it then changes to 6 inch. The pipe serves only the furnace, no other appliances connect into it. I'm guessing when the old furnace was replaced they just kept the original 6 in. pipe in place. Am I wrong to think that I could change the entire vent system to 4 inch pipe with 4inch oval going thru that section of wall?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Maybe....see if you can find the manual for the furnace and see what they require.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014