(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How To remove old flange, replace twist-n-set

  1. #1

    Default How To remove old flange, replace twist-n-set

    Flange is topped metal ring on top and attached to ABS. The pipe close to the flange is 4" but that could be part of the flange unit. Not sure. Flange is in straight, but badly mangled and very uneven. New floor tile job used very thick tile and I cannot get the Toto setup secure at the Flange.

    I have the Oatey 43650 twist-n-set which would be perfect if i could remove the existing unit. It would bring the flange level to the tile and also would not leak.

    Thanks ..Sey
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by weneedhelp; 10-17-2007 at 07:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    It sort of looks like that existing flange is glued to the inside of the pipe. If so, then it is probably a 4" pipe. If this is true, you can buy (maybe rent) a special drill bit that is designed to ream out the old fitting. Once that is done, you could glue in a new one (better than the twist and seal) or use what you've bought. Note, the flange is supposed to sit on top of the finished floor...it would have been better to do this before you tiled the floor. You'll need to do something to support the flange at the proper height and then anchor the whole thing to the floor. See what the pros have to say...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  3. #3


    Do you know the name of the Special Tool?
    Or a site where i can find it, i will purchase or rent it.
    I was not aware that it was so uneven and low until tile floor was completed.

    Thanks for quick reply


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts