Bosch dishwasher and airgap

Users who are viewing this thread

nmk

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old Bosch dishwasher that has basically quit pumping the water our of the bottom of the unit when the cycle is completed.

I thought something might be clogged so I disconnected the dishwasher line to the airgap and made sure all the lines were clean. I ran the dishwasher and the water completely emptied into the bucket I ran the dishwasher line into. Perfect.

I reassembled all the parts, ran the dishwasher and to my delight the water had not drained. What?

How does one know if the airgap is defective? I blew into both openings and all was clear. What else should I do?

Thanks....

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
does the discharge come out of the air gap? that will happen when the line from the air gap to the drain is blocked. air gaps are cheap, replace it if you think it's bad.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
nmk said:
I have a 4 year old Bosch dishwasher that has basically quit pumping the water our of the bottom of the unit when the cycle is completed.

I thought something might be clogged so I disconnected the dishwasher line to the airgap and made sure all the lines were clean. I ran the dishwasher and the water completely emptied into the bucket I ran the dishwasher line into. Perfect.

I reassembled all the parts, ran the dishwasher and to my delight the water had not drained. What?

How does one know if the airgap is defective? I blew into both openings and all was clear. What else should I do?

Thanks....

Air Gaps never go bad; there are no moving parts in an Air Gap. It's a device that uses the free atmosphere for protection from the reversal of contaminates into your dishwasher that creates sterile utensils for eating/cooking/drinking.

It's the line leading from the Air Gap to the disposal or tapped tailpiece.... or there's some debri inside the Air Gap.

Side note:

Guy I did work for a month ago called tonight wanting me to work friday evening rehooking a sink. States "I've lived in 5 states and no one has required an Air Gap and I don't want one."

Told him that if you want me as a plumber, that is the only way I'm hooking your dishwasher up. Told him I appreciate the offer to do work for him but I value my license and live by code to protect my customers.

He was mad when he got off the phone with me. I know he's looking for another plumber and it's better that way.

He cares about aesthetics before his family's health; I'm not going to be the fall guy for that misguided choice.

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
Diswasher

I thought that the new dishwashers, made within the last 10 years or so had back flow preventers built into them????? Also if you put the hose in an upside down U above the bottom of the sink you dont need an air gap provided your local codes dont require them. Most plumbers still put in air gaps in Milwaukee where I am but if you go to Chicago only one out of 100 dishwashers have air gaps on the counter tops.

nmk

Reaction score
No discharge

There is no discharge coming through the airgap, but I do hear a sucking sound and then the dishwasher shuts off as though it is not able to complete the cycle.

I have taken off the hose from the dishwasher and made sure that it is not clogged. I have also taken off the hose from the other side of the airgap and made sure there were no restrictions.

No restructions in either garbage disposal line or other sink lines....they drain fine.

I will pickup a new airgap and put it in tonight and see what happens..

I know they are code here in Madison, WI

Thanks....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If possible, disconnect the hose from the airgap to the disposal and see if you can get water to run through it. The things don't really go bad from what I read, but they can get clogged, or probably more accurately, the pipes/hoses to/from them can.

On one old one I had, I had been using a powdered soap, it ended up clogging the inlet to the garbage disposal.

burin

Reaction score
pump failing??

Did you have the bucket on the floor? Is it possible that the pump is getting weak, and while it was able to pump into a bucket on the floor, it can't pump the water up to the air gap? Just a thought....

nmk

Reaction score
yes, bucket was on the flor which made it just a slight uphill push from the dishwasher. I bought a new airgap and will try that tonight....otherwise the pump deal is about $300 with a service call. Already paid close to $350 to have the control board replaced.

Bosch has been awful to work with. Their stance is that the unit is no longer in warranty, by about 6 months, and that they will not stand behind their product.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't had good luck using air gaps with Bosch.

Anyone else out there?

bosch-drain-2.jpg

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I moved into a home 4 years ago and was happy when i saw it had a Bosch Stainless Steel dishwasher and so did my real estate agent.
It always smelled bad unless you just finished a load, there was always water in the bottom of it. I checked the air gap and it was installed properly.
The unit also made my knife and forks have rust spots on it.
I called Bosch and they blamed everything from my utensils to the water to the drainage.
I just installed a $250.00 plastic Whirlpool dishwasher last year and i never had a problem except its loud when running.

Gfe76

Reaction score
A little off subject, but here goes. We have a bosch also, but if dishes are left in diswasher for 1-2 days, some of them mildew....what is up with that?
Is that because water is left in bottom? I never see the water standing. thanks

nmk

Reaction score
I finally got an answer from Bosch, which was to have a reapir person comeout again. They would not cover the parts or labor and suggested I had done something wrong.

Perhaps I have but I do know there is a just over 5 year old Bosch diswasher sitting on my curb to be picked up by the garbage collectors.

Thanks for all you help.....good forum

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks