Flow rate mystery

Users who are viewing this thread

dac9162

Reaction score
Hi all!

Sorry for the quick newbie post, but I just don't know where else to look.

We had a new high flow tub filler installed along with a deck mounted handshower, but the flow rate of the new one is much less than that of the previous tub filler. The contracter mentioned something about there being code restrictions on flow rates, but I've since learned (thanks for the info!) that those are only for other faucets (2.5gpm), whereas tub fillers have a MIN of 4 gpm.

Here are some details:

1. The tub filler is a high flow Kohler filler with 16 gpm rate, but we're getting only 6 gpm.

2. The high flow valve is only 1/2" but is rated for 16-18 gpm

3. I don't know the water pressure, but the pressure throughout the rest of the house is great (shower in same bathroom, tub in other bathroom, sinks, etc)

4. The previous tub filler had a much higher flow rate than this one (though I never measured it).

What else should I look for? He's coming tomorrow morning to take a look and I'd like to be reasonably prepared. Thanks very much for any help you can provide :)

Debbie

dac9162

Reaction score
valve info

It is this one: Kohler K-300-K 1/2 Inch Rough In
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?item=207302

Here is the section from the valve's spec sheet (pdf):

PRODUCT SPECIFICATION:
Page 1 of 2
113340-4-CB
Two-handle bath- or deck-mount, with or without rigid connections, 1/2†high-flow valve system shall feature brass valve
bodies. Faucet shall feature 1/2†quarter-turn washerless ceramic disc valves, assuring positive handle stop positioning.
High-flow valving allows water to flow 16-18 gpm at 45 psi. Valve system shall be Kohler Model K-300-_______-NA.

Here are the other parts:

Kohler K-T398-4 Double Handle Roman Tub
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?item=7556502&section=2&category=8&subcategory=51

Kohler K-10286 Multi Function Hand Shower
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?item=10172302&section=2&category=8&subcategory=50

Kohler K-368 Hand Shower Holder
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?item=10270902&section=2&category=11&subcategory=61

He also put in a diverter but I don't know anything about what brand/type it is.

Thank you so much!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The showerhead is limited by federal rules to 2.5gpm, but the tub filler isn't. Are all your pipes copper, pex, or is there any galvanized in there anywhere? There could be some crud caught in the inlet to the valve restricting flow. You can buy a pressure gauge for about $10 at HD or Lowes, and probably your local hardware store, if you still have one. Are you on a well, or city water? 16gpm on a 1/2" line is, I think, overly optimistic. I'd have to do some calculations, but I think that would exceed the safe flow rate and you'd risk eroding the insides of the pipe. Is there a divertor in the system that you use to operate the handheld shower? Some valves have two outlets: one for the shower and one for the tub. If he reversed these, the valve might have a built-in restriction, and you'd not get the designed flow. I didn't look at the specs. Suggest you read the instructions, and verify if it has two outlets, and try to figure out if he reversed them.

dac9162

Reaction score
Aha!

Is there a divertor in the system that you use to operate the handheld shower? Some valves have two outlets: one for the shower and one for the tub. If he reversed these, the valve might have a built-in restriction, and you'd not get the designed flow. I didn't look at the specs. Suggest you read the instructions, and verify if it has two outlets, and try to figure out if he reversed them.

Thank you Jim; that is an interesting thought! Unfortunately I don't have the specs for the divertor as he picked it out himself at Home Depot. I guess I'll just ask him to check into that as a possibility. (Also, it doesn't look like he installed an "access panel" per the Kohler valve installation instructions that I just reviewed - though I could be mistaken not knowing exactly what an access panel looks like.)

Regarding the pressure guage, would that be to measure the water pressure coming into the house or at some other place?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Measure the water coming in. They can be bought with a hose connector, so you can just screw it onto a hose or washing machine water valve; or, you can buy adapters and screw it in other places.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks