Rim to water level dimensions

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have an elderly male client who is looking to replace his toilet. It seems his “parts” hang into the water. Not all that uncommon I’ve been told. His existing rim to water level height is 5”.
I’ve talked to CS at Toto and Kohler, and they have no data on those measurements.
ADA toilets seem to add the additional height in the skirt, not the bowl.
Also, my client is only 5’-2” so 17” height toilets are out of the questions.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
teabag blues

I'd recommend a seat extender as this is the best solution to the problem, short of wearing a jock strap.

They make toilets with a significantly smaller water surface in the bowl but then you compromise the utility and function of its use, having problems with bowl wash and flushing capability.

Not all of those seats come at a 4" raise; some are 2 to 3". Just have to check out the numerous products offered, a great deal cheaper than buying a new toilet to fix the problem.

R

Rancher

Reminds me of an old joke...

Boy is that water cold... other guyAND DEEP

I thought the toto toilets had a lot less water in the bowl?

Rancher

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just installed a Toto Soiree in my home - has a nice-sized water spot, but plenty of room between the seat and the water spot (I know what your client is talking about...)

The Soiree is "comfort height" so may be too high, but maybe not...

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
SteveW said:
I just installed a Toto Soiree in my home - has a nice-sized water spot, but plenty of room between the seat and the water spot (I know what your client is talking about...)

The Soiree is "comfort height" so may be too high, but maybe not...

Ya not that your bragging or anything.

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
I'd recommend a seat extender as this is the best solution to the problem, short of wearing a jock strap.

They make toilets with a significantly smaller water surface in the bowl but then you compromise the utility and function of its use, having problems with bowl wash and flushing capability.

Not all of those seats come at a 4" raise; some are 2 to 3". Just have to check out the numerous products offered, a great deal cheaper than buying a new toilet to fix the problem.

That was my first thought also, so I installed one 3" high. It cut the circulation off from his foot and made it turn black.
getting old isn't for sissies

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is 6" from the water spot to the top of the porcelain rim in my Toto Dartmouth. This model only comes in ADA height. Perhaps Terry can respond with details about other toilets.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Cookie said:
This is one time I am sure glad I am a woman. ;)

Yeah but that's the price of being able to right our names in the snow! :D
Or sand....I haven't seen snow in a looooong time. :cool:

Cookie

Reaction score
I am getting an education here, lol.

I always do snow angels, :D Will probably be doing them all too soon.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks