Basic Soldering Dumb Question perhaps

Users who are viewing this thread

duct tape pro

Reaction score
HI,
I went to solder in a controller for tub/shower. I wrapped a fire retardant cloth around the area and still managed to get some wood burn.

Anybody got tips on how to solder big pieces of metal(controller) without burning house? I only got 1 of 4 to take so far.

Regular pipes aren't bad, but the large metal surface seems to just suck up the heat my propane torch puts out and won't let a solder take.

Pix of my almost indoor BBQ attached.

TIA

J

P1010243a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most pro plumbers us Map gas instead of propane to get more heat quicker. What I would have done on this fixture is to solder short pieces copper pipe into the valve body before putting the unit in place. Then just make the final connections with regular copper fittings. With a little planning, those connections can be made where there is more open space. Always keep a spray bottle of water handy when soldering.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
Most pro plumbers us Map gas instead of propane to get more heat quicker. What I would have done on this fixture is to solder short pieces copper pipe into the valve body before putting the unit in place. Then just make the final connections with regular copper fittings. With a little planning, those connections can be made where there is more open space. Always keep a spray bottle of water handy when soldering.
Yup
That is the best advise.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Are those stop valves at bottom?

Are they going to be buried?

I use cool gel spray ,also water spray bottle

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
prefab

When I did mine I dryfitted every thing and then assembled it on a table with spacers to keep every thing at the correct position. I did all 4 connections on the main valve in a row so I did not have to reheat the valve more than needed. I also used mapp. Also I put my cut off valves in the basement.

soldering_kit.jpg

R

Rancher

How about...

Wet the wood, unscrew the fixture, slide in a piece of sheet metal, use Mapp gas.

Rancher

duct tape pro

Reaction score
toolaholic said:
Are they going to be buried?

I use cool gel spray ,also water spray bottle

Cool gel spray?
Does that have better dissipating value than water?
Hopefully it also smells better than smoked wood.
(Wifey not impressed)

What do you mean by buried? It will be behind cement board/tile, but given my handy skills, you're likely meaning in my back yard...LOL.

To pressure test this after I'm done, would it be a good idea to put capped ends over the shower/tub spout, or just let water flow through it with regular shower nozzle?

edit; maybe I'll bring marshmallows into bathroom with me too. LOL

cool-gel.jpg

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
I solder up the shower valves before the valve is mounted, usually just enough pipe and fittings to get me away from the wood. Sure, it burns up a few couplings but the wood doesn't get charred.

I agree on those shut-offs. They are more of a liability if there is no access to them.

duct tape pro

Reaction score
tonykarns said:
You better get rid of those shut off valves before you close the wall. Not having access to them can be a real problem for you in the future if they develop a leak.
Hi,
I guess I should have mentioned that the other side of shutoff valves is in our bedroom behind the bedroom door.
(hard to see, but under the fire retardant cloth hanging there is the cold air return from bedroom)

I am planning an access panel there anyways, especially since nobody will se it behind the door.

Thx for noticing a potential oops though.
Cheers,
J

edit; picture doesn't show it well, but this shower/tub is just a T in a line which goes to other shower. My reason for putting turn off/access door is so we can still use other full bathroom in house while under construction & for the probably likelyhood of repairs at some point in future, hopefully distant future ;-)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks