Shower Stall Light

Users who are viewing this thread

Hillel

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

The light fixture over our master bath shower stall seems to have rusted to the point that a bulb does not last more than a week. The recessed fixture is in a box shape 6.75 inches on each outside edge and 4 inches deep. All of the shower fixtures I have found locally are round and would require changing the tile in the top of the shower to install. Does anyone know where I could find such a light fixture online?

Alternatively, has anyone any experience trying to light up a shower stall with a self illuminating shower head?

Thanks.
---Hillel

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the bulb to an energy saving, compact fluorescent? Not a perfect fix, but it might solve your problem. They do last longer.

I wonder why your bulbs are blowing so quickly? I do hope the fixture is covered and keeping water out. Otherwise it could be dangerous.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
That self-illuminating shower head is a joke. It is less than 1 watt and will look like a dim flashlight. And who needs "hours of fun while taking a shower" while hot water goes down the drain?

It is not clear to me why a rusty fixture should make the bulb burn out. I would be checking out the venting and see if the wattage of the bulb is within spec limits.

It is sometimes easier to replace the guts of a shower light than to replace the whole fixture.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the socket is all rusted, any movement might cause it to essentially turn on and off, messing with the filament life, but that is just a guess. If the socket is messed up, sometimes you can replace just that.

Hillel

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
If the socket is all rusted, any movement might cause it to essentially turn on and off, messing with the filament life, but that is just a guess. If the socket is messed up, sometimes you can replace just that.
No, I don't think the socket is internally rusted. Just the box that holds it. The outer box in the attic (IC housing) looks ok. Maybe it just needs a new trim with a gasket. I found one locally from Lithonia for a 7-inch square (6 5/8 inch cutout) that is rated non-IC only. What difference could there possibly be in the trim for IC and non-IC? The difference should just be in the ceiling box.

Last edited:

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Light bulbs burning out too often and too soon is a common headache for homeowners. You had light fixtures installed in your home for safety and convenience, yet the bulbs just don’t seem to last.

The first thing to check is the wattage limitations of the fixture itself. Installing a 200 watt bulb in a fixture rated for 60 watts not only will cause the 200 watt bulb to burn out too quickly, but it also becomes a fire hazard. This is due to the excessive heat that will build up in the fixture and surrounding area.

If you’ve made sure you’ve got the correct wattage of quality bulbs installed and you still are replacing them too often, it may be due to excessive vibration. Some bulbs are subject to shaking simply due to their location. Fixtures near a door are a prime example. Another source of vibration may be the occupants of the building, such as a childs bedroom, or equipment such as an exercise room. The constant movement of these items shakes the walls, floors & cielings, and that vibration is transferred to the bulb's filament. If the fixture can be outfitted with 'rough-service' bulbs, that would be one option to try. Rough service bulbs may also be called garage-door operator bulbs, appliance bulbs, or ceiling fan bulbs. They are designed with additional support for the filament than a standard bulb. Another option to look at is Compact Fluorescent (CF) bulbs, which have no filament. And with todays' advancing technology, you may want to look into Light-Emitting-Diode (LED) lights as well.

If none of the above suggestions seem to help, there’s one more thing to try.

And it comes as a surprise to many that there actually are right and wrong ways to proverbially, ‘screw in a light bulb'. You may be twisting them into the socket too tightly.

By ‘cranking down’ on a bulb during installation you may be causing the most damage to the bulb and socket. Premature bulb failure is often caused by bulbs that have been installed too tightly into light fixtures.

Look into the base of a light fixture socket and you will see a brass tab. This tab is bent at an angle when the fixtures are new and will spring back and forth if depressed slightly. Now take several new light bulbs and inspect the base of each one. You will quickly notice that the bottom of most light bulbs has a small dot of solder in the center of the base. More importantly the size of this drop of solder is not exactly consistent. It is close in size, but not always the same size or height.

If the brass tab at the base of the socket does not make firm contact with the bottom of the light bulb, two things may happen. If there is a poor connection between the brass tab and the base of the bulb, the connection may heat up, and this heat cause the filament to burn out too soon.

If the connection is extremely poor, a small electrical arc can occur that starts to melt the solder and eventually burn a tiny hole through the bottom of the base.

To prevent this arcing you must be sure the brass tab is always at about a 30 degree angle inside the bottom of the socket. People who twist bulbs in tightly will depress and flatten the tab so it does not spring back when a bulb is replaced.

If you discover the tab is flattened, then you must turn off the power to the lights at the switch. As an additional safety measure, turn off the circuit breaker to the lights. Use a needle-nose pliers and carefully grasp the sides of the brass tab and slowly pull it up so the end of the tab is about one quarter inch off the base of the socket.

When you install a bulb always do so with the power on and the light switch on. Screw the bulb in enough for the thread to hold the bulb in place. Turn on the power, and continue turning the bulb. As soon as the bulb comes on, turn the bulb one-eighth of a turn. If you screw the bulb in too tightly, you will once again flatten the brass tab.

Hillel

Reaction score
chris fox said:
Shouldnt there be a glass plate to protect the bulb i.e. wet environment baffel kit?
There is a glass plate with metal edge for the trim. The metal is somewhat rusted, and if there ever was a gasket, it's totally gone now.

Devino

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a simple light fixture in a shower stall and fixed it (going on 2 months now) with a florescent bulb. I think the problem is with the resistance in the wire connections inside the conduit box and also maybe the bulb socket. A 120v supply can drop due to resistance from corroded connections and, more to the problem, the bad connections cause the eclectic flow to fluctuate and surge power through the bulb filament. It is similar to quickly turning on/off the switch multiple times per second while the light is on.

When you change out the fixture make sure the copper wires in the box are clean (a little sand paper works) and maybe add some electrical grease to the connections prior to twisting on the wire nuts to stop future corrosion.

I would like to add that I use electrical grease on 12v DC (trailer) wiring for this very reason (corrosion) and although the grease says it can be used for AC/DC I have no idea what the building codes are or what a contractor might have to say about this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks