Water Softener plumbing question

Users who are viewing this thread

mtls

Reaction score
I just bought a Kenmore water softener from Sears. I don't want to use the plastic bypass valve that comes with it so I have installed copper piping bypass. It's now on service position until I have it connected to my water softener. Now I need to connect the in/out 1" plastic male from the softener to 1" copper pipe sitcking out of 2 in/out bypass valves. What is the best/easiest way to connect it and what parts to I need? Is there a flexible hose adapter out there that can be used for this connection?

Also, the service valve I used is soldered but the 2 in/out valves are threaded. Will this affect the water pressure coming in to my house from the softener? Thanks.

Calif_Pilot

own a plumbing company
Reaction score
you can solder two 1" male copper adaptors on the valves..and purchase two 1" stainless steel connectors that are braided flex connectors to make your connections from the bypass valves to the softner

mtls

Reaction score
I was thinking of that but I could not find a 1" thick stainless flex hose from Home Depot or Lowes. Is there an online store where I can get it? Thanks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Braided SS hose is a bad choice. The ID is quite small compared to flexible SS or copper corrugated tubing. The rubber tends to fail in 'city' water also.

You would have been much better off and farther ahead to use the factory by pass valve instead of a 3 way manual. In 20+ years in the water treatment business I have seen maybe 3 bad by-pass valves in thousands of installations of mine not counting those done by others. A 3 way BP allows dead ends, that's not good, and there are pressure losses with manual BPs that factory types don't have. And the control valve on your big box store brand softener is exactly the same type plastic as the by pass valve ... so what do you think you gained by not using the factory BP?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks