(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #12 or #14 wire

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric
    Spent several hours and lots of money making sure that the lights and receptacles in the same room were on different breakers so if the breaker tripped the room wouldn't be dark.

Two different things happened that let me know just how silly I was to waste all that money and time.

The only breaker that tripped was the one supplying the light and left me in the dark.

and

The power company lost power due to an ice storm and again I was left in the dark.

From that time on I quit wasting my money and time trying to keep a light burning so I wouldn't be in the dark and let those that think that keeping the two separate believe what their heart disire.
    HERE!! HERE!!

I TOTALLY agree.

I have never, repeat never, tripped a breaker in my house. And yes, I DO use quite a bit of power. I own 85% of the the power tools known to man, and I use them!

I've tripped garage and workshop breakers, when testing older electrical motors and such. Still having lights was something I appreciated. In ordinary residential areas, subdividing the lights may not accomplish so much.

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots
    I've tripped garage and workshop breakers, when testing older electrical motors and such.
    How do you trip a breaker testing a motor?

Surely you know how to size a circuit for a motor, yes?

Surely you aren't just hooking a motor to a circuit to see if it will run and calling this a test, no?

I always test motors using a tester designed for the purpose but then again what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    How do you trip a breaker testing a motor?

Surely you know how to size a circuit for a motor, yes?
    No guarantee the motor is in perfect working order.

Surely you aren't just hooking a motor to a circuit to see if it will run and calling this a test, no?

I always test motors using a tester designed for the purpose but then again what do I know?
    Not a professional motor repairman, am I. I get various pieces of equipment offered to me, and always a sucker for a freebie, I usually accept. If it doesn't test as a dead short, or near to it, and the shaft isn't obviously locked, I am likely to want to try and power it up. If someone gave you a car, would you turn the ignition key, or send it to a garage for an extensive regimen of tests?