help, well trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

daisygirl

Reaction score
Hi!

We just purchased a house w/ a well and are having trouble with the water pressure. We have ok pressure when turning on a sink faucet, but if we flush the toilet and go to wash our hands there is very little water. And forget it if I need to do laundry, someone go to the bathroom or wash their hands. It ain't happenin'

We have a submersible well pump w/ a challenger series 32 gal. tank and a 40/60 square D switch. Our pressure guage reads at about a constant 65psi, although today as we were trying to adjust things it did drop down to 30psi once. The pump seems to click on, then off, then clicks on again about 1 1/2 min. later, then off, then on again about a minute later.

Any suggestions on what we need to do? DH attempted to adjust the pressure switch, however it didn't seem to change the pressure guage readings at all, but did lower the pressure in the house to nearly nothing.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
daisygirl said:
Hi!

We just purchased a house w/ a well and are having trouble with the water pressure. We have ok pressure when turning on a sink faucet, but if we flush the toilet and go to wash our hands there is very little water. And forget it if I need to do laundry, someone go to the bathroom or wash their hands. It ain't happenin'

We have a submersible well pump w/ a challenger series 32 gal. tank and a 40/60 square D switch. Our pressure guage reads at about a constant 65psi, although today as we were trying to adjust things it did drop down to 30psi once. The pump seems to click on, then off, then clicks on again about 1 1/2 min. later, then off, then on again about a minute later.

Any suggestions on what we need to do? DH attempted to adjust the pressure switch, however it didn't seem to change the pressure guage readings at all, but did lower the pressure in the house to nearly nothing.
I would check you tank to make sure it is not water logged. Tap the lower half and should get a thud. Tap the upper half should sound hollow.
It sounds like you are losing water someplace. Try to turn the pressure switch back to what you had, because it sounds like it got worse. That should keep you until you can solve this problem.
I'm thinking your well trol tank has gone bad.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If there is no sound diff... I would first start with changing that. I would also change anything in the house that seems to be worn. The pressure guage should be changed, because they tend to break easy.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You might want to look for a filter of some sort in the system. Either an in line or possibly a softener or an iron filter. If any of these items aren't working properly, that could be the problem not the pump.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks