Pipe and water noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Time1992

Reaction score
I am remodeling my house and have drywall off walls. I have new copper comming into house from the main then 1 ft. up into pex. The main is very noisy, what would you recomend to quiet it down before I drywall. Also I am installing a Bosch 2400 gas tankless and I have heard they do make some noise so what can I use to insulate the noise, again the drywall is off now. Thanks, Tim

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
First off, I'd recommend almost any tankless but Bosch.
They may be a couple of hundred less in the short run, but they are the worst of the tankless's.
Thats my opinion, based on real experience.
Ironically plumbers are notorious for disagreeing, but this one topic seems to have a large number of us in agreement.
As for the noise, you'd have to be more specific about what type noise.
Do you mean hissing when fixtures are on?
Do you mean hammering/rattling?
Does the main have a PRV? an expansion tank?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
As for the noise, you'd have to be more specific about what type noise.
Do you mean hissing when fixtures are on?
Do you mean hammering/rattling?

Yes more info please

Time1992

Reaction score
The noise is not hammer or loose pipes, it is the hissing as in water flowing through galv. pipe or hose bib. As far as tankless what would you recomend, we are redoing this house to be our last and only want the best. The main reason I chose the Bosch was because of the output capacity and the size of the unit, 8" deep 12" wide, I removed the old hwh and used the space to enlarge a new shower. Oh yea what about killing the noises. Thanks, Tim

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score

We need more info about what you have. There could be many reasons for the noise. PRV, toilet fill valve, or many other reasons. If we had more info you would have answers

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Time1992 said:
.... new copper comming into house from the main then 1 ft. up ...
bad news. You have to look inside that new copper and the main, and smoothen the pipe wall surface. Also, put in more gentle bends.

Hissing is caused by non-smooth surfaces. Laminar flow becomes turbulent causing water to expand slightly here and there in its flow, and causing microbubbles of vapor, which then revert back to liquid state right again after. Re-do your copper connection to the main.

It may be at the connection to the pex, also.

davi

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing some people neglect is to use the reamer after cutting the pipe to straighten out the cut end. Especially if the cutting wheel is getting dull, you will make a flared end on the pipe (inwards), that can generate some turbulance when water passes by the connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks