Filter Placement

Users who are viewing this thread

11thacr

Reaction score
1hp Sub pump 230v (15GPM) with an 82 gallon Bladder tank Square "D" Switch and a small inline filter. This is a shallow well. The pump is down 30ft with static at 7 so it is in about 23 foot of water.I have setup the tank 2lbs below the cutin pressure 40 and cutout is 60. The problem is the pumptec is shutting down the pump after 3 or 4 lbs of pressure to the system. I read in this forum that a filter should not be installed before the Tank. This small inline filter is installed right after the pump outlet. Could this be causing my problem?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be the problem. You should never install a filter without gauges to measure the pressure drop across the filter.

Take the cartridge out and see if that solves the problem.

The cost of filter cartridges, as measured in cost per 1000 gallons of water, is greatest with the fewest cartridges. If you put in 4 times as many filters, in parallel, you will cut the cost of replacement cartridges by at least 50% and will increase the change interval by at least a factor of 8.

I am not suggesting that you put in four of your existing filter. If you need a filter you should put in a filter with much greater area and you will be repaid with lower annual cartridge costs.

The type and size of filter depends on what and how much you are trying to remove from the water, and your requirements for finished water. Cartridge filters can remove more small particles but they must be replaced when clogged. Backwashable filters without chemical pretreatment are not as effective in removing small particles but you don't need to buy replacement cartridges. For the same flow rate capacity, the initial cost of a backwashable filter is greater than cartridge filters.

11thacr

Reaction score
Thanks Bob,
I'll try that. I know if I run water through the filter at the same time the pump is running the pressure will increase 15 lbs or so before it shuts off. You are probably right about the filter causing improper Pressure settings. Will do this fix this weekend.

11thacr

Reaction score
That was the Trick. I will put the filter after the switch and the well will be fine. I appreciate your Help.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Glad you getting the filter out from between the pump and switch. Now if you would remove the filter altogether I think you will be far happier and better served. Inline filters are a joke.

bob...

11thacr

Reaction score
I think your right Speed bump. I'm gonna leave the filter out of the Equation. This well is just for the lawn and a few plants. Thanks for the Help. I have read a lot of posts on this site and there are Great opportunities for people to get Good answers to their questions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks