Water shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

reiguy

Reaction score
I am trying to located the main water shut off for the house. I need to replace the catridge and or washer for the shower faucet. I cannot seem to locate the water shut off.

Its a one level house no basement. I went to the water heater and turned a valve. The hot water that was dripping out of the shower stopped leaking. BUt I still have cold water.

I looked around outside and couldn't seem to find anything.

Just looking for some help from more experienced guys.

also when i turn the valve that makes the hot water go off, if i turn it back on i hear rushing water. Its right on my water heater. would that just be the gas cut off?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is possible that there is no main shut off. Obviously, there should be, but I have seen houses that do not. If there is such a valve, it should be very near when the water supply enters the house. If you do not have one, the only way to shut the water off completely is at the meter. Many cities do not want their customers or even plumbers to have a curb key so you have to call the city water department when you need the water shut off. If there is no valve in your house, I would use this as a good opportunity to install one. It's a royal PITA to have to call the city anytime you have to work on your plumbing!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many houses have the main shut-off in a crawl space under the house. Walk around the perimeter of the house and look for a removable panel.

If you don't have one, look for the curb box--usually it's a buried metal can-- with your meter inside, which has a shut off.

Sometimes you can use a large channel locks to shut off the valve at your meter, but most of the time you need to use a "key", which can be purchased.

reiguy

Reaction score
hey

thanks for the help guys.

I looked at a diagram. So is it possible I just turned off the water supply to the water heater?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, it would be possible, but unlikely that the valve by the WH shut off all of the water to the house. Look where your water meter is.

reiguy

Reaction score
hmmm

No I know it wasnt the main water shut off to the house. But it did get the hot water to stop. So I was wondering if maybe it was just the water supply to the heater or if it was gas. I didnt think it was guess though.

reiguy

Reaction score
hmmm

I mean I found my water meter. Its outside near the street with its cap on. But thats like 20 feet from the house. Can I just take that off and buya water key and turn it off. I am still looking. Thanks for you help guys. Sorry to be a dummy.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water goes in at the top, gas on the lower side. Gas is typically black iron pipe (although it doesn't have to be), while the water is usually copper. gas would go to a valve with (normally) a three-way knob, off-pilot, on; plus the temperature adjustment with a separate knob.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks