Danco Plumbers Waterproof Grease vs Danco Plumbers Silicone Grease

Users who are viewing this thread

RochNY

Reaction score
Is there a preference/difference between these two? Lowes had both and I couldn't get an answer from them. Thanks for any replies.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Both are waterproof but the silicone one is allowable for anything that comes in contact with potable water.

Food grade grease is another term that is used.

The other type is for anything that does not come in contact with potable water during it's use.

Using the wrong grease can contaminate/cause taste/odor problems in the water from the taps.

Sametas

Reaction score
Sorry for the old thread, but I thought this was worth emending:

Thank you for your inquiry. Both are silicone based, both are safe for use with potable water. The Waterproof Grease is a good installation aid for non-moving parts, just to help get them in place and to protect seals and gaskets. The silicone grease is the better choice if you need a long-term lubricant for moving parts.

Regards,

Scott Graham
Technical Support/Customer Service
Danco Inc.
800-523-5135
dancosupport@nch.com

Doberdawn

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I still don't have an answer. This question has been asked many times, in many forums, and the answers (even from Danco) don't address the fundamental question. Can you use the 88693 for both installation AND long-term lubrication of moving parts? What plumber or DIYer in their right mind would keep two different silicone grease products around, if one can be used for both applications and the cost difference is so small? I'm about to install new agitator dogs in my washing machine. It calls for Whirlpool agitator grease 350849. Per online search, the non-OEM substitution would be Danco waterproof grease 80360. I already own a tub of Danco silicone grease 88693. As I understand it from all answers I've found online, They're both really silicone grease, but the 88693 (just silicone not "waterproof silicone") has a higher percentage content of Silicone. Both are silicone based, both are safe for use with potable water. The Waterproof Grease is a good installation aid for non-moving parts, just to help get them in place and to protect seals and gaskets. The silicone grease is the better choice if you need a long-term lubricant for moving parts. But, can I use the higher percentage "long-term lubricating" version for an installation (like the thrust washer for my agitator dogs cam assembly)????

Reach4

Reaction score
I already own a tub of Danco silicone grease 88693.
I expect you mean you have a tube.... , and that tube is 0.5 ounces of grease.

Would that be enough for an agitator?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks