A.O. Smith pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

jbhud

Reaction score
Anybody know if A.O.Smith still makes pressure tanks? I'm just wondering if this tank is so old, I should be replacing it. It is a modelV140, and I can't see anywhere on ther what size it is. I have pressure fluctuations in the house, and have replaced the switch and gauge. I also drained all the water, and the pressure is 24 lbs. It's a 30/50 switch.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That tank was a complete failure. I don't think they have been around for many years. They got most of them back in the first few years.

I'll bet it's real heavy if you try to rock it to one side.

Get a new tank and your fluctations should go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbhud

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have replaced the tank. I put in a State tank. Maybe just as bad, but I didn't have much choice at the time. The water that came out of the old tank was pretty nasty. Rusty and / or dirty. I had discolored water before, but it's clear now. I have a question, tho , When I replaced the tank and let all that air into the system, is it possible to have an airlock somewhere? The kitchen sink ( furthest from the well), has very little pressure, while the bathroom fixtures and laundry work well. The washer stopped pumping water for about 5 sec. , tho. very abrupt stop and strart. What have I done wrong? Or not done right?. The tank was precharged to 38 lbs, and shows approx. 65 lbs when full. it's a 30/50 switch which I turned up due to lack of pressure with the old tank. It now kicks off at 70 ish lbs, which I plan on turning down, tho. any help??

R

Rancher

Your aerators on the sink faucets need to be cleaned out. Probably clogged with water tank crud.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
Pull the aerators off and run water until completely clear.

You made a bad choice in tank brands.

bob...

jbhud

Reaction score
yup. cleaned all the aeraotors, lots of crud, but now everything seems to work fine. How bad was my choice of tanks? I'll be replacing in a couple of years? and what about a filter? the water is nice and clean now, but who knows later.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rancher

No filters on sinks or showers, if you have a separate drinking water faucet, then filter that, or ice maker.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks