Will this work !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Time1992

Reaction score
Doing a total remodel on a 80's ranch in Ca. I could not find the style or color of frame for replacement windows so I ordered alunimum replacements with a 1 1/2 in. flange in a dark color,( vinyl would fade ) please let me know if you think this type of install will work.

I removed the drywall and glass and the old frames ( poped out with pry bar ) down to the studs, I caulked between the studs and stucco and tooled it in so no gaps and ground stucco to get a smooth flat outside flange surface. Then I wrapped the studs with builders paper and caulked (IPS ) on the window flange close to the window frame aprox. 1/2 in. bead high and wide, set windows and screwed into frame ( chanel ) to studs from the inside, then caulked outside edge of window flange at stucco as well as inside of frame ( metal to wood ) will also redash stucco. I ordered the windows with a fairly tight fit and will finish inside with wood trim. Your thoughts please.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Without seeing, I cannot say for sure. The real secret to a window which will not leak is flashing. Stucco is not a water barrier. You have to assume water will be behind the stucco, running down hill. The proper installation has flashing ( building paper is OK ) flashed down over a flange on the window. From top to bottom, every piece of flashing overlaps on top of the piece below, so water never has any crack where gravity can take it.

Stuffing a windo with enough caulk may achieve success, but again, I cannot tell from your description if the window frame is actually properly flashed .

Time1992

Reaction score
I know the triple seal with good caulk was a bit of over kill but with the new paper between the studs and the stucco if mostiure was to get in ( which is now dam near impossible ) it would use the flashing as an escape ( I think ) oh well time will tell.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
They make a special material for wrapping window/door openings. It's similiar to ice and water barrier for the roof. If you had taken some pictures I'm sure you'll get lots of responses, but one mans caulking isn't as good as anothers, ya know? As mentioned, flashing is important, but you also have to think like water if you want it to do you any good.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks