PEX Pipe for under the house?

Users who are viewing this thread

turntablez

Reaction score
Hi all. I had PB (Polybutylene) ran in my friends mobile home, and it looks like we are going to have a DIY job. Is there a certain kind of PEX that needs to be used for outside and under the mobile home...that can handle cold winters and hot summers. I live in Michigan so the seasons are brutal. I just need some help sense I am going to be using PEX for my first time. Should I stick with the clamped copper ring brass fittings? Or should I use the Watts fittings or Sharkbite fittings for the pipe ran outside of the house? I just need to know where to start. The fittings seem easier to use than the clamped....but I am just not sure if they are safe to use outside. I know this is going to be a big job. But the whole pex lines seem to be easier to run than copper pipe...so I'd rather use pex under the mobile home if possible. Inside I know I can just use the red and blue stuff, which is obvious. I heard something about UV protection. Should I get that for inside the house also? I'm sorry I'm just lost. Thanks for your time.

Todd

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think any of the PEX pipe like UV, it needs to be covered. If the piping is on the house side of the insulation, it should be okay. The crimp rings are okay but you need to really also buy the go-no/go tool to verify they are crimped properly. A simpler system is that used by Wirsbo (Uphonor). There, you use a sleeve or collar of pex around the pipe, expand both, and then slide it over the fitting. The pex contracts to the normal size, sealing the joint, the collar reinforces the pex over the fitting. Quick, simple, elegant, and it works. The only thing to check is that the tubing is fully inserted onto the fitting. You can probably rent the expander tool, as it is fairly expensive.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Re-doing a mobile home

you are in over your head already, you will truely realize this
when you peek under that trailer...

when you get under that trailer,.... you will notice that
most of those poly lines are buried up under the insualtion
(if it is a newer trailer that should be the case)

and it is wise to try to cut that under garment-like-tarp and
try to get your new pipes up against the trailer bottom
where the heat is... then you need lots of duct tape to
seal the rips you make un the under-garment

I hope you like to eat pink insulation that will fall in your
face while you are ripping through the underbelly and
laying on your back under this mansion.

this is usually not a fun job

if you string that stuff out everywhere directly in the atmosphere
it will certainly freeze unless you are going to run a
heat tape over the whole project ant then insualte that...

it really depends on how nice this trailer is and
how nice you want to do the job for a "freind" ...

If this mobile home is a dump...or some sort of hunting cabin..
I would string up the main line into near the water
heater and then mainfold everything from
that point ....if it can be run visible inside the trailer
to all the plumbing fixtures, then you
will save yourself tons of misery and greif

also stay away from the ZURN pex

the Wirsbo is the only one that will not break when it freezes

Last edited:

turntablez

Reaction score
You are right. It is under the insulation under the trailer. I found out about that when I helped hime fix a connection that was leaking under the house to a line that was running to the water heater. I have heard of the tool that streaches the pipe and you put the fitting in and then slide a metal part over it. This guy has helped me out with plenty in my house to I have to be there for him, therfore I will help him out. Now this is what I was thinking. I will expose the water lines at the connection fittings under the house. I'll cut the off there, then slide them through the insulation, so I don't have to cut all of the insulation off the house. I'll just patch it up where the lines run to the sinks and toilet and kitchen and what not. So basically any PEX will do except the one mentioned. Even thoough the pipes will be run in the insulation, I will still buy pipe insulation to be safe. The inside part should be much easier. I just hope we can actually do it. Please let me know your feedback. Thanks for your help :)

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you might get lucky

If you were to attach to the poly with the pex and pull it through for themain feed , it might work ...

but most likely it is all teed off under that trailer

their is nothing more fun an experience than sopping wet insulation
dripping water down on you while you are laying on your back under a mobile home...

I have been there and done that and wont do it again....

Personally,
I would wait to do this job untill it gets at least down
to 25 degrees to give the crawl space sort of an

"ice rink " winter--wonderland x-mas effect........

Last edited by a moderator:

turntablez

Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
If you were to attach to the poly with the pex and pull it through for themain feed , it might work ...

but most likely it is all teed off under that trailer

their is nothing more fun an experience than sopping wet insulation
dripping water down on you while you are laying on your back under a mobile home...

I have been there and done that and wont do it again....

Personally,
I would wait to do this job untill it gets at least down
to 25 degrees to give the crawl space sort of an

"ice rink " winter--wonderland x-mas effect........

lol I think I'll pass on that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks