dirty water

Users who are viewing this thread

jbhud

Reaction score
I have a well, submersible pump, pressure tank, etc. and recently, we have been getting brownish water . It has cleared up in the past, but every now and again ( like tonite), it reocurres. any suggestions?

jbhud

Reaction score
i thought about a filter, but i'm wondering why it only happens every so often, not all the time. it's almost a rust color, but i have plastic pipes from the well.

jbhud

Reaction score
good point. it usually happens after a rainstorm, but lately it's been dry dry dry.

Reaction score
Start by installing a 10" or 20" Ametek cartridge filter after the pressure tank with a 20 micron filter. It will stop sediment and iron oxides. Well water can change over time, particularly in periods of drought as we had this summer. If the cartridge clogs more than every couple of weeks you may need a backwashing type system.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Before you buy anything.... you could have had a slug of rust break loose from inside the drop pipe down the well or underground to the house from the well. Or it could be from IRB (iron reducing bacteria). Or... you could have a problem with dirty water entering the well.

So tell us more about your water system. Submersible or jet pump? If jet, single or two line? Any water softener etc.? Steel or PVC well casing? Fully cased well with screening in sand and gravel or a rock bore well down through rock?

How frequently does this dirty water problem happen and how long has it been happening?

jbhud

Reaction score
sorry. been out of town, Gary. It' a submersible, steel casing, and that's all I know about the well . I replaced the pressure tank, and cleaned out all the aerators, which wer full of trash, and the water appears to be nice and clean and plenty of pressure now. I got trash and rust out of the old tank ( a.o.smith ) . I have no water softener or filter. .Pvc from the well casing to the new tank. Galvanized out of the bottom of the tank to a steel "t", then pvc and plastic to the house. The dirty water and low pressure has been an ongoing problem. mostly after a good rain. I was afraid the well was going dry, but now everything seems fine. Should I test the water, and/ or install a filter after the tank?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Only if the problem returns but I'm not a fan of 'whole house' disposable cartridge filters. They were never meant to be used POE (point of entry), only POU (point of use).

This dirty water could have been due to a broken bladder and rusting pressure tank. And steel water lines...

You might want a hardness test and softener if you have hard water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks