(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How to snake drain in the wall?

Default How to snake drain in the wall?

I have a 1924 bath sink drain that is awfully slow. The clog/narrowing is somewhere in the wall. I took the trap off and stuck my Ridgid 'home-owner' snake in the arm. I cant get the snake to make the 90 degree turn at the drain. What is the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun
    I have a 1924 bath sink drain that is awfully slow. The clog/narrowing is somewhere in the wall. I took the trap off and stuck my Ridgid 'home-owner' snake in the arm. I cant get the snake to make the 90 degree turn at the drain. What is the trick?
    The big secret trick is not using a hand powered snake. The two choices you have is to call a pro or rent an elec power snake. If you really want to try and drive your self crazy I would put a very small bend on the tip. This will let you take turns, you just kind of get the tip to point into the turn. I would also make sure you have a good cleaning product. Drain cleaning is very messy
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Default drain

If the elbow or pipe is closed with rust or hardened buildup, you may never get any snake to turn the corner.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If any of that drain pipe is galvanized, it is probably time to replace it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014