Need help with sediment

Users who are viewing this thread

ericbar

Reaction score
I just had a new well pump installed(500 feet deep) and water delivered down my well after my well had run dry. I have plenty of pressure and flow when I do not have a whole house filter installed, but when I put one in I lose pressure and flow quickly and the filter has collected a lot of sediment even though I had just put it in. Also, when the filter is not in, there is a lot of sediment that comes out of the faucets. I had the water delivery on Sunday morning and have been using the water ever since. Could my problem be that the sediment needs time to settle(if so how long) or should I just keep installing new filters until the sediment works itself out?

Raucina

Reaction score
Putting water into a well? you must be kidding. Better line up the trucks for a mile or so each week. Put the water in a tank nex time...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a new one on me too. You need a cistern. Or a new well. Pouring water down a well that is dry would certainly shake things up. I imagine if you wait long enough the water will clear.

By the way, those inline filters aren't worth the box they come in.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try pumping a few thousand gallons of water from the well to see if it clears up. If they did a pumping test and you KNOW that your pump flow is less than the recharge capacity of the well, then you can let it pump for a few hours and discharge the water to the ground where it will drain away.

If you don't know that the well has more recharge capacity than the pump then you must monitor it or throttle it down so you don't run the well dry and damage the pump.

You can check for heavy sediment if you pump the water into a large area and let it overflow. If you put a sheet of plastic on the ground, and lift the edges with some 2x4s to make a shallow pan, and discharge the water into one end and let it overflow the other, the large and heavy material will settle out. Dump the sediment from time to time and you should see a reduction in sediment after a few thousand gallons.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks