Question About Pipe PLEASE HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

turntablez

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friend of mine that lives in a trailer. His pipes are gray and look like it is PEX but it's not. It's a bit flimbsier. Does anybody know what kind of pipe this is? It is crimped together at the joints and unions with the copper bands and what not. I am trying to help him find a better way to connect at a union of his. He doesn't want to use those band and crimping tool. Which I don't blame him.... his pipes have leaked where he has fixed them before. If you know what this pipe is and you know a better way to bring 2 pipe together with a coupling of some sort other than those bands please let me know. Thanks for your time!

Todd

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Polybutelene there is no (other way)mobil homes are tricky at best.
I would suggest PEX and a complete repipe.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Polybutelene I would remove this stuff and install new PEX. You could use copper but it would be harder being in a mobile home.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
We had a big lawsuit about this that is why we no longer put any plastic
behind walls.Pex is new to our area and are using it because of the high
price of copper.Copper scrap is an on going problem theves years ago
ae would take it in and and have acompany picnic.:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pb

The mobile home section of the class action lawsuit had expired a long time ago. And the regular homes time frame has also expired except for those who had a leak within their time frame, and within the past year. This assumes nothing has happened to extend the time period.

turntablez

Reaction score
hj said:
The mobile home section of the class action lawsuit had expired a long time ago. And the regular homes time frame has also expired except for those who had a leak within their time frame, and within the past year. This assumes nothing has happened to extend the time period.

I think it was built after the time period of the date. I think it was 1997??? From what my buddy is telling me. Why would someone put it in there if they knew the pipe was bad? Hmmm? Is there anything that can be done about that?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Read through the guidelines on the link above from grumpy plumber.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Mobile home are not subject to the same building and plumbing codes as "regular" homes.

If he wants to repair or modify any of the plumbing, it is essential to use the proper tools and materials. "Band-aid" assemblies are sure to leak.

turntablez

Reaction score
Yeah I read up on it. Looks like the bullet is going to have to be bitten on this one. Although I think he is looking into who constructed it. If it was after 1995 I think he is going after who put the plumbing in, knowing that it was defective and a court settled on it. But I did fix the links with a band-aid for the time being. I took 2 sharkbite couplings and a peice of PEX and poped it in there. It is working well. I did call the guys at cash acme that make sharkbite fittings. They told me the don't warrenty the fittings on those pipes....we all understand why. But they say it will hold better than the clamped ones that were on there. I'll try to keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the help and links!

Todd

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks