Drain care causes more backup?

Users who are viewing this thread

nolroz

Reaction score
For the past week or so I have been trying to speed up a slow shower drain with Zep drain care. I have used 3 doses over the past three days and saw some improvement. I then dumped boiling water down the drain in hopes of further loosening up the blockage, after letting it fully drain and sit, I flushed the drain with more warm water and then added another dose of drain care and left it.

I cleaned up after dinner (using the garbage disposal a little) and went to the bathroom where I noticed that the drain was now full of blackish water and more was coming up whenever someone ran the water in the kitchen.

I guess I did dislodge something, but these are less than the results I was hoping for!

Ive heard of the hose method, but I live in a small apt and that could be difficult and messy.

The shower drains slowly so I could still use more of the drain care, hoping that the bacteria eventually get down to the base of the plug, but I dunno.

Oh, and when I went to try and snake the drain a while ago I discovered that the drain does a 90 right at the beginning so I couldn't get the snake to fit down into the actual pipe.

I don't really want to call the plumber if I can get away with it, but I would also like to shower some time soon.

Any ideas or advice would be great

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Check to see if your landlord is responsible for drain care as you are in an apartment...
I would not try anything else because, if you cause damage to your unit or someone else's, you could be held financially responsible for the repairs required...

nolroz

Reaction score
thanks for the response

Hey, thanks for the response, actually, I went back and tried to rinse the crud out, and while I was rinsing, something popped and now it runs great!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks