Raising submersible pump

Users who are viewing this thread

swizzlestick

Reaction score
I have a second well on my property that I want to put back in service after many years of sitting idle. My first attempt was cut short by smoking wiring at the well head because the insulation on the pump wire has been damaged where it comes over the edge of the well casing. This was caused, I believe, by there being little to no slack in the pump wires.

I'd like to raise the pump a couple feet to get some slack, cut out the damaged wire and use a splice kit to reconnect. I need to take out a couple feet of black poly pipe to raise the pump. How do I get a secure grip on the pipe while I'm doing this? I don't want to see everything disappear into the well once I cut the pipe.

R

Rancher

First, turn off the power.

You'll need to clamp the pipe with something to get a good hold on it, you could use pipe clamps and several wraps of chain below that use for lifting.

Speedbump will probably tell you of a device that's used to do this, but this is how I've done it.

Rancher

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put a steel male adapter into the end of that poly pipe you are going to pull on, heat the poly pipe a bit with a torch, and put 3 clamps on it.

Then screw a steel or iron threaded tee to the male adapter.

You now have something that you can put a chain on a pull with. The connection will be stronger than the attachment to the pump.

You should be able to put a line around the pipe below the tee that will be a safety if you pull the tee off the pipe.

I can't gaurantee that the pump will move so you could still drop it.

swizzlestick

Reaction score
I've raised the pump with a come-along attached to the galvanized lifting pipe screwed into the top of the pitless adapter.

Now how do I safely grip the poly pipe below where I want to cut it and then reattach the pitless?

Raucina

Reaction score
Much easier to make a wire longer than a pipe shorter.

If you insist, block of wood with a hole just under pipes O.D. - split on a bandsaw through the center of the hole. Clamp together on pipe and rest on casing. I have hung 700' of pipe of such a rig with no slipping.

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
And, from what Ive learned, if the well has been at rest that long, plan on replacing the pump soon!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks