Old Flowmatic shower (30+ years?) valve replacement w/ pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Hoser

Reaction score
I need help identifing a replacement stem assy. See pictures at
Flowmatic 900-022

pp_flowmatic_1.jpg

Please help my family is starting to smell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is a Price Pfister. I forget the model name. This part is available, but is no so common, because this model was in production for relatively few years.

There are several parts outlets on the internet. Any good local plumbing supplier will have it. In Home Depot, the sku # is 550-070, but not all the stores have it, but they can order it.

Where are you? If you are in San Diego, I can tell you several places that stock this part. Expect to pay between $50 and $60.

index.php

Hoser

Reaction score
Jimbo,

Thanks for the info. The round wall flange did say Price Fpister. I called PF, early this week, and they sent me the worng parts. They thought it needed 971-150 and 974-491. I just stopped in my local plumber store, and they thought it was an American Standard. I showed then the pictures. They did not have the part.

I live in upstate New York. I will try Home Depot.

Hoser

Reaction score
Found it

I had the Price Pfister guy look at the pictures. He showed them to someone else, who identified the part, 900-022, FlowMatic cartridge. $71.95 with shipping. Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me of the "Flowmatic" name. Good point about the handle; they are pot metal and often a cartridge will outlast a few handles! Well, that used to be true, but PP is having these made in Mexico now, and I have had some dead-out-of-box issues with these. By the way, dropping the new cartridge is also usually fatal, so handle with care!

Danco, for one, makes a replacement handle. I don't even know if PP still offers an OEM handle. Danco actually gets their cartridge from PP. Just comes in a bag, instead of the PP blister pack, but the part is marked PP.

pp_flowmatic_900-022.jpg

Hoser

Reaction score
2 are on order.

Thanks again for the help. When I was talking to the PP guy, I asked if the croak gasket comes with it, and he said "No, only the cartridge". Which, I should get it by Thursday, CA to NY. PP sent the last parts in a FedEx envelope. When I got it the envelope it had a few holes in it where the stem had poked though and was prety beat up.

I searched the www for the part now that I had its name and number and found it here.

Flowmatic cartridge

Part number 45493. the handle (4002390). We want the part ASAP so I ordered the cartridge and handle

Now, I did not take the cartridge off until the first set of parts arrived from PP. The holes lined up and it looked like everything should fit, so I turned off the water to the whole house and took the shower apart, which is a story in itself. Once off and I saw the inside I knew I was in trouble and that the parts would not fit. The gasket was destroyed when I took the cartridge off. So, now I can not turn the water on. The pipes are in the wall w/o an access panel.

I cleaned off both sides and use some auto silicon gasket maker and put the cartridge back on. It leaks of course. So I cut up a 2 liter bottle to catch the water and make it drip in the shower not between the walls. I also turn the water to the whole hole on only when needed.

Well that is most of my story with the plumping adventure.
Thanks for listening and helping.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am surprised you got one without the cork gasket. Every one of these I have ever purchased from any source came with a gasket.

The silicone form-a-gasket will be too thick and not able to be evenly tighted up by the small brass screws.

Another source for this part is The Home Depot Supply ( not the Home Depot Store.) They carry the PP OEM part 900-022 for under $50. I assume it comes with a gasket, but call to check. You can see it on their website item number 485750. You can't purchase on the web unless you have an account, but you can purchase by phone at 800-431-3000.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gasket

If you buy the unit it comes with a gasket, getting it from PP, the person probably only sent the part you asked for since he knows nothing about gaskets and that the old one is always destroyed in the process of taking it apart.

zLori

Reaction score
I ordered this part and it came with no gasket
Are you saying home depot might have the gasket?
thanks -

zLori

Reaction score
Wowzers - THANK YOU!!! so much! How awesome of you to do this!
I am wondering if this is all I need based on what I see (attached)
It is hard for me to comprehend how just replacing this will work - I feel like I am missing a part?
Looking at the picture - does it look damaged?
Am I missing a part
Thanks for any help - I do appreciate it

plum.jpg

zLori

Reaction score
ok - I realize right now I have a "hand made" gasket but what I am concerned about (currently waiting for the real gasket) is looking t the inside of the piece - when I turn it "off" (pull up) the white piece in the middle isn't closing - the left and right pieces inside I see closed but not the middle one why? this could be why it is still leaking
help...

white.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The left and the right holes are where hot and cold enter the valve. The center opening is the path the mixture of hot and cold water goes to make its way to the tub spout or shower head. If you have a new valve and a good gasket it should not leak. If there is not a good gasket it could leak out the sides of the valve and where it mates to the pipes in the wall. If the gasket is not good between the round center hole and the rectangular holes, it will leak out the tub spout or shower head.

zLori

Reaction score
Got the new one with the gasket - NOW when I look at the center hole - there is goppy stuff inside
Also - there is a little white piece included does that go in third hole?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a link to a video of your valve. He is long winded but he discusses the plastic part about 4:00 minutes into the video:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks