Purple Primer

Users who are viewing this thread

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Just wondering....is purple primer required in your part of the world? We were required for a very short time to use it here, but thankfully that changed. Yes, we still have to use cleaner or primer, but dont have to use the purple junk anymore. I understand why it would be required as evidence that a primer was used. I'm just curious.

etg

Reaction score
As long as it meets the code requirment (ASME ....blah blah) no, it does not need to be purple. Purple indicated that a) primer was used and b) it met the ASME requirement.

If an inspector comes around, he/she will look at the containers at times.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Oh I know that. I'm just wondering about codes in other states. Here we had to when I was an apprentice....now we dont. Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Out here, I have not seen any primer that is NOT purple. We are talking water service, because DWV is all ABS. No primer is needed for ABS.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think there is any separate PVC primer that is not purple. As previously cited, the purpose of the purple was to prove to inspectors that primer had been used. Even doing irrigation lines that are not inspected, I like the purple because I have a visual reminder that the joint/fitting was primed. I don't know how really necessary it is, but it's too cheap and easy not to do it.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I think perhaps ya'll are misunderstanding me. I'm not asking if there are other primers that arent purple. I know there are. In fact, I use them all the time. All I'm asking is what code requirements for your area are. Here we used to be required to use the purple primer but now we can use the colorless. Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
primer purple

They let it go here in the mid west a long time ago.

The purple stuff really looks sloppy, the clear stuff is more forgiveing.

Purple primer is great when it drips all over someones basement, ect...

Just one drop on someones vinyl floor and you bought them a new floor...

yes, I know you arent supposed to spill it, but it seems to get everywhere no matter how careful you are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks