(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Looking for high velocity parts

posts, emails and comments from readers reposted by Terry

Default Looking for high velocity parts

My best freind is older and can't retire because of his gas bills in the winter are over $450 a month. He has a old gas radiator system. I had done alot of reasearch and descided to purchase a air to air heat-pump system with electric back up because geothermal is not allowed in the area. I have had over 10 estimate's from conventional and high velocity dealers that were all over $8,500 The high estimate was because of his thick stone interior wall's, lack of attic, and most of the home sitting on a small crawspace about a foot high. I would like to purchase and install a high velocity system because of the ease of the small duct's', but I am having trouble finding dealers that will sell them to me."All the high velocity dealer's will only install and not sell the materials I need to install the systems myself" Can you reccomend any website's or dealers that I can purchase a high velocity system from, or would a regular forced air system with flexable large duct's be cheaper in the long run to install and operate?
    Total cost is a huge factor for me!
    P.S. I live in Pittsburgh Pa, and found many local dealers that will sell me a conventional all in one outdoor 2 1/2 ton 13 seer Heat-pump/ac with electric back up for about $2,200 plus flexable ductwork that I estimate would cost me about $400 more, but the large ducts would be very difficult for me to install.
    Thank you, Troy

If not VERY carefully engineered and installed high velocity systems tend to be noisy, often quite irritatingly noisy.

I strongly suggest that if at all possible you reconsider using more "normal" sized ductwork.

Are you an air conditioning tech with the knowledge and equipment to install a split heat pump ( EPA license?)?

In PA, I suspect that for much of the winter it is too cold for a heat pump system, and you will be using the back-up electric heat, which will be expensive.

Default heat

Are you sure the high bills are not a result of the home's construction? If so, then any replacement system will have monthly bills about the same, or more.

An efficient and inexpensive gas system can often be achieved by high-efficiency gas-fired units (sometimes two, on opposite ends of the house) with through-wall exhaust. No ducting required but some circulation may be required.

I have seen a few that were installed to supplement heating in all-electric houses that were built in the '70s.