pre-formed shower niches

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard S

Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding my tub surround & will be using tile. I've been trying to find the best alternative to custom building a wall niche. I had previously found out about Recess-It which I didn't want to use as others had noted that the flange protrudes a bit out from the cbu & I didn't want to mess with feathering out the thinset to get the tiles to look right. I've found 2 other products: Duk Liners & ProForm that seem to not have the same problem as the Recess-It (see attached links). I was wondering if anybody had experience with these products. All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

http://www.ctile.com/DukLiners.htm
http://www.noblecompany.com/proform2.html

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you look at the installation insructions in your links, they show that you install the niche over the moisture barrier ( I would caulk this joint) then the backerboard overlays the niche flange. This will be imperceptible, and the tiles lay on a perfecly smooth plane.

Richard S

Reaction score
Jimbo,
Thanks for the reply. Have you used any of these products? The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if it's as easy to tile on the products as the manufacturers claim & also, if you feel that the quality of the products is up to the task as I'm worried about water leakage. I should have been more specific in my original post - sorry about that.

Thanks again,
Richard

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Nice work, John. I had to do mine with KERDI origami and preformed corners because it was the size of one wall tile. The flash on the camera doesn't do justice to the grout on the glass tile bands. They don't look that bad.

100_0518.JPG

Jono604

Reaction score
Has anyone had success with the pre-formed niches from TileRedi?
http://www.tileredi.com/

They look pretty handy but I've seen some chatter about their shower pans being hard to work with.
Is it true that the tiles have to be set with epoxy thinset and if so is it considerably harder to work with.

I'm doing a full bathroom renovation (down to the studs) so I'm open to options for creating a niche.
Building from scratch with framing and backerboard is an option but I'm also intrigued by the ease of creating a two compartment niche using one of the pre-formed models.

Can anyone recommend a good brand that is easy to work with and provides a great level of waterproofing.

thanks
Jonathan

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Pre-Formed Shower Niches for shampoo and soap

Not all are created equal. Test yours before using or installing by filling it with water for four days. If it was made well it should not leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks