Broken 1" PVC supply line help

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffH

Reaction score
Yesterday my neighbor's son broke the 1" PVC main supply on the house side of the meter. Unfortunately, because of his hardscape I can only expose about 3 feet of line. I installed a 1" compression fitting so they could at least have water through the weekend. No leaking after 24 hours of full pressure. Can I keep this as a permenent solution? It's eventually going to be buried. Short runs of 1" sched 40 doesn't give you much play room for glued connections. What would you do? Insight needed.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Replace the broken section, use couplings to fit to the rest of it. If you're unsure of something don't bury it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
`That compression coupling should be OK . The other 2 choices would be a slip-fit slide coupling, or a union.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Compression fittings are the best way to repair PVC pipes. Before they came along, you could use 4 elbows with short pieces of pipe. That worked, but were really ugly. I fixed a couple of sprinkler lines that way and covered them with dirt ASAP! The compression couplers are not only effective, they look a lot neater and are bunches easier to use.

JeffH

Reaction score
Thanks folks...

48 hours at full pressure without leaking before burying. My nieghbors are truley grateful and I feel good for helping out. Thanks again for the input! You folks and this website are great!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

Where was the pipe that he could break it? PVC is only supposed to be underground, not brought up through the surface and exposed where it could be damaged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks