How weird is this? Pipe soldering clamps

Users who are viewing this thread

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I prefer Mapp, but most like Acetylene in the event there's wet pipe.
No doubt that thing wouldn't handle it.

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yet to burn down a house using open flame.I would keep ext and spray
bottle of water close at hand.Looks interesting though.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
cwhyu2 said:
Yet to burn down a house using open flame.I would keep ext and spray
bottle of water close at hand.Looks interesting though.
I use Acetylene have used Mapp in the past. I take extreme precautions when it comes to fire in or around walls.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Nothing new about that tool, they have been around for more than 50 years.

I've never used one and I think that there are probably few places where I would use one but it might be useful in close-quarters for repair work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tool

1. I have had one for years,The clamps are bulky so it is not really suitable for closely spaced pipes or tight spaces.
2. The instructions say to clamp around the pipe and let the heat flow to the fitting. It should be, "clamp around the fitting and apply the solder when it is hot".
3. Just another item to find space for in the truck and maybe really only needed a couple of time a year, if that. I guess not seen or used mine for decades. (I think my son borrowed it).
4. It will heat the joint quickly, but if you have to replace the jaws for each size tubing, it eliminates any efficiencies.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Seemed pretty silly to me, too - I was sharing more for laughs than anything else. A scrap of drywall protects framing just fine, IME, for the ~10 seconds it takes to heat a fitting.

Although I was open to someone telling me "they're great"... you never know... it looked like overpriced gadgetry. GW does a lot of that.

I've never worked with acetylene, what's that like? I did graduate from propane to MAPP a few years back, under my plumber's advice - soooo much faster!

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Mapp is a mixture of acetylene and propane.
Propane just doesn't cut it on wet pipes.
Personally I found that acetylene does, but often roasts the flux inside the hub in the process.
You get a feel for that, learn to back the acetylene away before overheating it.
I just like Mapp because the tanks as light as propane so I can lug it along with other tools and my bucket...less trips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks