J-box location

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I need to install a junction box and my ideal location is right under the beam in the photo. The cabinets come to the lower double plate (96") so the box would have to go in that gap. Question: is it okay to chisel out to install the box? It would only be about 3/4 " out of each 2x6.

The other alternative would be to surface-mount a box which would be hidden above the cabinet. Frankly this sounds easier and more friendly for hooking up the transformer that is going to be fed by the box and be right next to it. Thanks for any tips.

IM000593.jpg

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Phil H2 said:
Most building codes require a steel strap over notches in top plates. So you could not install the box and still have it accessible with the strap. Here is a link to a strap that commonly covers these notches http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/RPS.html .

I guess I won't be notching those plates then. I'll use a surface mounted box instead. Thanks for the link to those straps, I'll be using them to address some other issues caused by the original 1952 plumbers who basically carved away some important looking frame members. I have a place to the right in that photo where there is greater than 5.5" cut through the plates. Is there a strap rated for that? Thanks.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is common for there to be a cut in one of the two plates. They are rarely long enough to go the full length of the wall. However, it looks like the beam is supported on those plates, so I would be reluctant to cut the in exactly that area.

You are going to need access to the transformer so you might as well plan for access to the junction box and the transformer.

Bassman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Bob NH said:
It is common for there to be a cut in one of the two plates. They are rarely long enough to go the full length of the wall. However, it looks like the beam is supported on those plates, so I would be reluctant to cut the in exactly that area.

You are going to need access to the transformer so you might as well plan for access to the junction box and the transformer.

The box and transformer will both be above the cabinet on the wall. As for cuts in the plates, there is a soil stack a couple of feet to the right where the entire wall is cut out for it to pass through to the roof, about 7" wide. I have no idea what is holding my house together. Probably just that T&G roof deck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks