Bidet Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Some cultures think it's crude not to use water to clean up. I tend to agree. What is your opinion? Please respond

bidet-sitting-01.jpg

What they have in Italy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since a corncob or a handful of leaves was good enough for grandpa, charmin is a marvelous improvement. What more could we ask for?

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
There was a US commercial from Toto on their Washlet bidet seat.
It featured a guy in front of a bathroom mirror and his face was covered in dirt. He takes a dry wash cloth and wipes his face and when he's done you can see all the dirt left behind in the crevices.
Then it shows you washing with water.
It makes you think.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bidet

That is like the story about the plumber who is working in an upscale beauty parlor and asks if he can use the rest room. The operator says, "Yes, but it is a high tech toilet, so DO NOT push the red button". He goes in and sees that there is a button marked "Wash", one marked "Dry", one marked "Blower", and an unmarked red button. After using the toilet he pushes the wash button and is treated to a gentle spray, then the dry one and the warm air evaporates the water. The blower button produces a soothing feeling. Then he wonders what will happen if he presses the red button, so he pushes it. The clients in the beauty parlor suddenly hear an agonized scream from the rest room. One lady asked what happened. The attendent said, "He must have pressed the button that inserts the tampon".

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
delicate subject.

the whole subject is hard to discuss, because it deals with layers and layers of taboo topics. Nobody discusses any one of them easily.

----

I have a Freehander in a walk in shower with built in bench and footrest.

Guess how I have used it in a manner similar to a Bidet? I have at times turned it to cover only my lower body, and let a gentle warm spray cover that body part.

------

Knowing what I know now, would I get a bidet or a washlet? Yes.

Did I think it was unnecessary before? I thought it was one step too far ahead of my needs, budget and "image".

----------

One friend of mine had a bidet installed in a new house, and he seemed to enjoy telling me as clearly as possible why he found it practical, useful and necessary. Years later it still makes me puke to remember his words and images. He described situations that I had never thought of before. Some people's derrières have coarse hair and practically fur around the sphincter and they may find that this surface grabs fresh fecal matter as they try to wipe dry with any paper tissue .... ... and that is just the beginning of a long speech that you may not want to hear.

David

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
geniescience said:
delicate subject.

I have a Freehander in a walk in shower with built in bench and footrest.

Guess how I have used it in a manner similar to a Bidet? I have at times turned it to cover only my lower body, and let a gentle warm spray cover that body part.

David

It's to be used as a body spray not a bidet.
But then again women use hand showers for more than their heads.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I have always considered that a washbasin near enough to the toilet to wet the paper is a necessity as I am not a dry wiper.

And a hand-held shower is also a necessity...'nuff said. ;)

Achutch

Reaction score
The company that I work for has begun to remodel some of the many restrooms on site (though not near my work area). Some have included showers, another, a brand new ADA unisex bathroom with shower, and most recently one with what they say are bidet facilities.

There is a new space set apart from the stalls which contains an ADA lavatory, an ADA wall mounted toilet (American-Standard), and on the wall to the right when seated, what appears to be a shower / tub single lever control connected to a hand held sprayer device.

The communications department featured photos of this new facility on their weekly "This Week" on the bulletin boards, and installed these "bidets" to help meet the needs of those from different cultures who prefer to use water to clean up.

BUT, I have never heard of or seen a setup like this.

Personally, I use wet wipes and have for many years (and without issues with either the septic at the camp or the drains at the condo).

achutch

wet-wipes-covid.jpg

Wet wipes a clogging the pumps in the sewers causing huge problems.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wet wipes should not be put down drains.

In many countries, people use water to wash with.
More and more, washing toilet seats are being used.

biobidet_1000_2.jpg

Some models like the one above, can be set to
Warm to sit on
Warm water wash
Warm air dry
And an air deodorizer.
The remote can be placed in a holder on a wall, or picked up and held in the hand.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
My Sensitive Behind

I usually put a bit of hand lotion on the TP at some point. It has the dual purpose of "wetting" and reducing irritation.

Nate R

Reaction score
Terry, I was just going to ask about that.

Are the "Flushable" wet wipes really that? Or do they not disintegrate?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
CR tests with wipes, so they can use the over and over again.

That's why they don't test using TP. TP disintegrates.
That's why a CR best buy may not flush all the bits of your TP and POOP.

bidet-sitting-02.jpg

Last edited:

Nate R

Reaction score
Well, some wipes I noticed are labeled as flushable in bold right on the package, some are not. I was wondering if there's actually a difference.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
" Well, some wipes I noticed are labeled as flushable in bold right on the package, some are not. I was wondering if there's actually a difference. "

Some kitty litter is also labeled as flushable. Talk to your local "rooter" man about that one!

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
jimbo said:
Since a corncob or a handful of leaves was good enough for grandpa, charmin is a marvelous improvement. What more could we ask for?
....are the corncobs available with CEFIONTECT?

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
jimbo said:
" Well, some wipes I noticed are labeled as flushable in bold right on the package, some are not. I was wondering if there's actually a difference. "

Some kitty litter is also labeled as flushable. Talk to your local "rooter" man about that one!

You have to be a little Stupid Or Crazy to believe that Any clay based cat litter is flushable-safe.
Probably the same people who think they are safer flying first class.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks