Subpanel Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed54

Reaction score
Sorry for this question, but I thought I seen somewhere in the forum where the do's and don'ts were for a subpanel location ( 30 amp ).. I know it cannot be placed within a closet area, and it has to be accessible quickly in an emergency.. I'm interested in knowing the specific code requirements. Live in St.Louis... I know I seen this somewhere, but I cannot find the thread.. Thank You.. :rolleyes:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
It would be a lot easier if you asked a question instead of trying to post all the sections of the NEC would relate to different type of installations.

For example there is no where in the NEC that says that a panel can not be installed in a closet.

What the NEC does say is the following;
240.24 (D) Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material. Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitible material, such as in clothes closets.

The reason a panel is not installed in a closet is because no type of overcurrent device such as breakers and fuses can be installed in a cloths closet and therefore the panel would be useless.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Jed54 said:
Thanks thats all I need to know.......

Well here is a little that you didn't need to know but I just felt like posting anway;

Overcurrent devices can't be in a dwelling unit bathroom either;

240.24(E) Not Located in Bathrooms. In dwelling units and guest rooms or guest suites of hotels and motels, overcurrent devices, other than supplementary overcurrent protection, shall not be located in bathrooms.

In commercial and indusrtial installations overcurrent devices can be located in bathrooms except;

230.70(A)(2) Bathrooms. Service disconnecting means shall not be installed in bathrooms.

This is true of all service disconnecting means in any bathroom.

Nowhere did it say that a panel could not be in a bathroom just no overcurrent in a dwelling no service disconnect in any bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks