(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Old style faucet replacement

Default Old style faucet replacement

Are there replacements for this type of faucet. The sink was original to the house and is set up as a second sink in the laundy room. My wife likes it but i can't keep it from leaking without messing with the washers every 2 weeks. A replacement would be nice. Thanks for all the help on this site. HS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sound and Light Suppervisor for a School District tjbaudio's Avatar

Have you replaced the valve seats? If not are the washers getting chewed up?

A replacement would be nice.
    yes it would be nice. Yes they do still sell them. You will need to find out what plumbing supply house close to you caries them.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

My preference on rear mount faucets:

http://www.rohlhome.com/
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

Default faucets

There are faucets like that in all price ranges, from the $40.00 imports, to $300.00 Dishmaster, or the single handle Delta model 500.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking get the Delta

We have had very good luck with
    the single handle Delta....for about 135..

dont fool with the cheap imports unless you
    buy two or three of them and plan on changing
    them out every two years

Default Ask

First thing you should do when you buy a faucet is to ask the retailer whether or not they stock replacement parts for what they sell and if they dont find out what the turn around time is for getting them. Sometimes buying products from overseas can be a nightmare of a wait time for any kind of replacement parts. Just because a faucet is new does not mean it always works! Example would be on the last Kohler faucet I purchased for $399.00 was defective and leaked at the stem. They wanted to send a replacement part for it which I refused and had them send me a complete faucet exchange which they gladly took care of.

tonysprofessionalremodeling.

Default faucet

If you are responsible for the cost (labor) of repairing the defect, why would you want to spend time replacing the good parts when all you need is the replacement item

Default Point

Why would I want to spend any time replacing any parts on a new item? If one part is defective who knows what else will be wrong with it. Besides when the machining area that the O ring fits into is not machined properly its kind of hard to replace just the machined part
    Last edited by tonykarns; 10-07-2007 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerslammer
    Are there replacements for this type of faucet. The sink was original to the house and is set up as a second sink in the laundy room. My wife likes it but i can't keep it from leaking without messing with the washers every 2 weeks. A replacement would be nice. Thanks for all the help on this site. HS
    Some old faucets need an extra thick washer. In that case, doubling up on the washers or using a beveled washer would help. Also, as someone suggested, try to replace the seats. Seats are either square or hex. Seat wrenches come tapered or "stepped".
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 10-07-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks for all the help. I got a nice T&S installed today and it looks and works great...
    I'm embarrassed to say I did try a Home cheapo and had my first experience with bad thread. I wasted alot of time but they took it back all buggered up. They will probably repackage and put it back on the shelf. I did look at 3 others on the shelf that were repackaged and it looked like some other fellows had the same problems I did.

Anyway my T&S looks great and Momma is happy...