joining NSF DWV to PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

turntablez

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need some help. I am going to be running a drain line of PVC to a black drain line in my house that I have never seen before. It looks like PVC but it is black and says NSF DWV on it in a box. I assume that is the type of pipe. It also says ASTMF-628-912302941311 1 1/2 inch. Well that's the size..lol. SAMCO IPS. There is more I think but it hides behind the wall and is covered up. I am running PVC from my fish tank to this drain pipe and tapping in. I just need to know if it is possible to join PVC to this drain pipe? The pipe itself is for my washing machine. Will there be a problem using the same cement or anything? I am just curious if anyone has done this before? I don't want to start something I can not finish. Please let me know if you have any opinions. Thanks so much!

Todd:)

Livin4Real

Reaction score
DWV is just an abbreviation for "drain,waste,vent" which pvc is used for as well. Your black pipe is most likely ABS, which they make special solvent for joining abs with pvc but most people here recommend using a fernco fitting (rubber boot with a hose clamp at each end) to connect the two. These can found locally at any home improvement store.

turntablez

Reaction score
Livin4Real said:
DWV is just an abbreviation for "drain,waste,vent" which pvc is used for as well. Your black pipe is most likely ABS, which they make special solvent for joining abs with pvc but most people here recommend using a fernco fitting (rubber boot with a hose clamp at each end) to connect the two. These can found locally at any home improvement store.

Thanks! Thats perfect! I also heard that Oatey All Purpose Cement will join the ABS and PVC. I think I like your Idea though. Just seems like it will be easier and less time consuming. Thanks for the help!

Todd

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to use a mission coupling instead of a fernco. This will be better and stronger. I would not try to glue abs to pvc you could run into bigger problems.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Livin4Real said:
most people here recommend using a fernco fitting (rubber boot with a hose clamp at each end) to connect the two.

Most people recommend these for underground use only...
Above ground use the ones with the full metal sleeve...

turntablez

Reaction score
Can you link me to the full metal sleeve Fernco fitting you are talking about so I know what I'm looking for when I go to pick it up? Thanks!

Todd

markts30 said:
Most people recommend these for underground use only...
Above ground use the ones with the full metal sleeve...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You DWV pipe may be SDR size ( SDR 35) which is different than schedule 40, the other pipe you may have. They make transition couplers, but these can only be glued if both materials are the same. Plumbing inspectors may not accept the transition glue, in which case you need to get an appropriate sized no hub banded coupler. Even if both are schedule 40, same thing applies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks