Need Whirlpool Recommendation from the Pro's

Users who are viewing this thread

Waltman

Reaction score
OK here's what I got...

Looking to install a 72X36 rectangle whirlpool in an alcove, willing to do the flange kit on a drop-in unless the pro's advise against it.

I only have about $1000 in the budget for this piece.

I want the Jacuzzi Espree, BUT they don't make the RH Drain I need. I'm not into tearing up the floor to accommodate a whirlpool that will have me looking at the terlett :eek: I'm kinda ticked with Jacuzzi for limiting my selection like this...can't seem to find any good reason why they'd do that when their other similarly priced models come with RH/LH drain configurations. The least expensive Jacuzzi I can get in this size with RH drain is $1800...budget buster :mad:

Looked at the AM STD Lifetime at HD, not sure about the flush-mount jets, but there are 10 jets ;) Flex tube plumbing.

Also considering the AM STD Cadet at HD, but I haven't seen this unit in the store. 8 jets...seems good enough...PVC plumbing, mfr specifies SCH40 in their repair parts, but I'm not so sure they're constructed with SCH40...

Priced a Watertech 7236BW for $1131 at Lowe's, but it's only got 7 jets (just ONE for the back). SCH40 plumbing all the way. If the pro's think it's THAT much better, I may stretch the $$ and see if I can get an extra jet installed where I want it for the extra $51...

Which one do the pro's think is best???

OR is there ANOTHER good brand/model out there in the same price range I just don't know about yet?

H E L P !!!!

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would not jump into getting something you might not like. If you end up getting something your not to sure about you will be kicking your self later.
I do know most people that get a tub like you want tend to use them once, and only once.

Waltman

Reaction score
I don't necessarily 'dislike' any of these tubs. I just want to know I'm getting the best I can for my limited budget. I'm asking the pro's to weigh in...

As far as usage, we'll be using it alot as Mrs. Waltman and I have cranky backs and look forward to hitting the tub oon those days when they act up. So, we truly want to use the tub for its intended purpose.

Another thing:
American Standard & Watertech BOTH have lifetime warranties on the motors. Jacuzzi doesn't.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Do you have a big enough water heater? (Or two?)

Whirlpools take a LOT of hot water...

And take a lot of time to fill...

Waltman

Reaction score
SteveW said:
Do you have a big enough water heater? (Or two?)

Actually this tub will replace a same-sized soaking tub. We didn't have a hot water problem with that tub, so I should be clear.

If need be, I would beef up the water heater though. Well within my skill set ;)

Thanks for pointing out something that's often overlooked when folks are considering one of these tubs. Hopefully an unsuspecting whirlpool customer will see this thread and realize they may need to add a bigger (or additional) water heater to their to-do list.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Always get more jets....

Pearl makes great wp tubs....

Jedda makes good WP tubs....

Pay a little more and get all the jets you can.....

Their is nothing more disappointing in a WP tub
than not haveing enough jets blasting hot water
and bubbles up in your buttox.....

you will get the feeling like you are missing out on something...

spend the money

Last edited:

Waltman

Reaction score
MASTER MARK: "Their is nothing more disappointing in a WP tub than not haveing enough jets blasting hot water and bubbles up in your buttox....."

TMI Dude, T-M-I :eek:

Thanks for the tub recs, I'll look into these mfrs...

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Last edited:

Waltman

Reaction score
I cannot speak for your customers who want more 'lumbar' jets, but I would think that 2 should be sufficient.

From your website it looks like you put a whirlpool in your own bathroom. How many jets, and who's the mfr? I also noticed the PVC plumbing. Is the extra insul for noise, temp control, or both?

Last edited:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a Pearl Bath Metropolitan that I purchased back in 2002. The cost then was a little less than double what you have indicated as your budget but I wouldn't have been happy with anything less.

The Metropolitan is now available with an air-jet back massage option.

As for the necessity of a larger water heater...I have a 50 gallon gas water heater and my tub fills in about five to seven minutes (plumbed mostly with 1/2 inch copper) and I have NO problem with the hot water running out. I do have my heater set a bit on the high side, maybe 130 to 140 degrees but anything hotter than 110 in the tub is going to be way too hot to get into.

My tub has only two jets (true whirlpool action) and I get a complete relaxation in twenty minutes. I strongly recommend a multi-speed pump (I usually use the slowest or next-to-slowest speed) and an in-line heater. Please understand that the in-line heater does not allow for heating a tub of cooler water but only slows the rate at which the water will cool.

As for cleaning (another thread?) I have never used anything but dishwasher detergent to clean my tub although Pearl Bath does recommend using a 1/2 cup of bleach every other month.

My biggest complaint with this bathtub was that it came with the pump control mounted at the "head" (drain) end of the tub and I found it hard to reach that far to operate. I recently moved the control to about one-third of the way from the "back" end of the tub and now it is is in the perfect position. All it took was a 1-1/2 inch hole saw as the wiring harness was more than long enough.

Waltman

Reaction score
Mark & Furd...

Great info guys, thanks for the help!

Mark, $225 is the deal of the century!!! Anymore of those laying around?? Even with freight to NJ it's a steal!!! That's what I call a two-fer...the wife's happy with the tub and you're happy with the price!! WIN-WIN

Furd, you've pretty much summarized everything I've been reading and learning about these things. Those Pearl Tubs sure are nice! What did you end up doing with the original hole???

I'm still confused though, which is better? More jets or less jets?

Last edited:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
So far the hole is still there. :D I only moved the switch a week or two ago. I think I can get a cover plate for closing an unused hole in a kitchen sink but I haven't yet looked.

If you order the tub you can probably specify where you want the switch. When I ordered my tub I didn't think about the switch mounting. I also had ordered the in-line heater but it didn't show with the tub. When I called customer service they apologized profusely stating that I was sent a "stock" tub. They made arrangements to send the heater to a local guy who came out and installed it. I could have done the heater install easily enough but this way the guarantee was in full force.

The question of more or fewer jets is a personal one. Pearl Bath was originally started by a woman (her name is Pearl) that wanted to replicate the jetted tubs used in hydrotherapy clinics. They only use two jets (some of their huge tubs have three) to enforce this whirlpool action. Pearl sold her company to Maax about five or six years ago. Using multiple jets will disrupt a true whirlpool action and the jets will be blowing directly on to the person in the tub rather than around the person as is the case with the true whirlpool. I've never tried a multi-jet tub but I can see how blowing directly on your body could be irritating as the jets are blowing with quite a bit of force.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Pearl tubs vs others

Pearl tubs are actually closer to a theraputic whirlpool
unit......or so they claim......their are two jets that
swirl the water around and its supposed to be more
relaxing....

I prefer the ones with all the extra jets because you can
put you back, feet, elbows, bottox, or whatever directly
against a jet and get that part hosed down real good...

without having to move or contort yourself all over the
place to reach a jet....like you have to on the Pearl

I just called my supplier and they
claim that they still have few of the Clarks collecting dust
in the back warehouse right now...

I think that the one I bought the box was badly water damaged,,,,

and I dont know what they
want for something sitting around for
so long and I would guess that it
is not worth the time or trouble....

also I amsorry to say that the one I have
only has 6 jets, I though we had 8

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks