Electric Water Heater Placement

Users who are viewing this thread

daltonr10

Reaction score
I am currently selling my home and the buyers got an inspection on the house. One of the issues that came up was the placement of the water heater. It is an 80 gallon electric water heater and the inspection report says it needs to be off the ground 18 inches. Is this true for an electric water heater? I think it is true for gas but not electric. I live in Indiana and am not sure of the codes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

It only applies to garages where a car could run into it. If it is in a recess or has bolsters in front of it, the 18" rule does not apply.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Besides mecanical protection, which in your case in apparently not the issue, a water heater, including electrics, in the garage or in a closet accessible from the garage, needs to be 18" so the spark of the T stats could not ignite a gasoline fume. New gas water heaters are protected against that, but as far as I know, electrics still need to be elevated.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
In Florida Electric units in non-living areas can be on the floor. Gas units must be elevated 18".

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Um...empty it first.

If you can lift an empty 80 gallon HW tank 18 inches off the ground yourself, then you should be wearing the cape. ;)

TMB9862

Reaction score
Call your local building department, ask for the plumbing inspector, and ask him. It's free, and he isn't going to come fine you if it isn't up to code. The reason for this is the codes are different everywhere you go.

And I can lift an 80 gallon myself, it just takes a little ingenuity.

frenchelectrican

Electrician
Reaction score
normally i dont useally step in this part but for basement it will be wise have it off from the floor few inches but in the attched garage area.

the state codes stated that gas fired unit have to be 18 inch off the floor level but electric unit they are kinda little muted but IMO i think they treat this the same as gas fired due the spark generated in the thermosat concat.

useally common sense will tell there .

80 gallon water tank humm make sure the stand is very strong to handle almost 600 pound of water actally it is 560 pounds total that not including the tank itself that will be about 150 -250 depending on what brand and how well it set up

Merci , Marc

Buckeyetech

Reaction score
80 gallons at 8.3 pounds per gallon equals 664 pounds plus the water heater. Gotta be a strong stand!

TMB9862

Reaction score
I would do cinder blocks, two layers of 8*8*16 blocks gets you 16in and a 2in solid block gets you a finished top and your extra 2in. And it will probably only cost about $20 for the blocks.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I would Fight them on that one

If the heater is in a closet in the garage,

I think I would fight them a little on that one...

Its silly enough to make an issue about an Electirc water heater in the first place,

I suppose if you literally threw gasoline directly on the
thermostats their could be a chance of a fire....

but I have never understood how they expected an
encased covered electrical panel inside the water heater
could ever start a fire....

The only reason that they raised the electrics in Indiana
I was told by an inspector was to "err on the side of caution" and follow suit with the gas ones...

sometimes you literally cant raise them 18 inches...
occasionally I have had to settle for 8 inch blocks on an electric.

good luck either way.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I've installed a few 80 gallon electric heaters by myself and never had any problem lifting them on to a platform.

The secret is to not even try to "lift" it but instead to crib it up with 2x4s rocking it slightly to get each successive block under it. When you have it to the required level simply push / rock / roll it over onto the stand.

My platform was made with 4x6 timbers with a plywood top. I agree with Mark that the necessity of raising an electric is a bit overkill. The thermostat is already at least a foot above the bottom of the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks