switched outlet with 3 way switches

Users who are viewing this thread

rioguia

Reaction score
I am trying to rewire a circuit that includes a 3-way switch controlling an outlet and providing a steady power supply beyond the switch to other switches in the same circuit. The circuit is made up of a 14/2 wire from the circuit breaker. At the outlet, I provide a 14/3 wire out to the first switch in order to provide a source of constant power for lights that continue beyond the first switch but are not controlled by it. I am especially interested in how to provide the neutral for the continuing power. I have attempted to diagram circuit rather than providing a long description. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

amartin725

Reaction score
I'm assuming that the circuit feed is coming from the bottom left and the rest of the outlets are off of the red and white leaving the diagram on the right?

There are big issues here with this. You need to remove the wire that comes from the outlet and goes to the wire nut with the other 3 wires below it. The red and white wires going off to the right are the same potential and there is no neutral there. Also, personally, I wouldn't feed the rest of the circuit HOT using a white wire.

Al

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I guess that you already know that what you drew will not work at all.

Never switch the neutral for any reason unless you are dealing with gas pumps.

All any switch does no matter if it is a single pole or a group of three and four ways is break the hot conductor.

Leave the receptacle with three conductors and go to the farthest switch using one color and the white to continue on to the other receptacles.

The other color is the switch leg back to one of the screws on the recreptacle that you want to switch.

rioguia

Reaction score
Isolating the switched outlet from the rest of the circuit

Thanks to everyone who commented. I need someone to confirm that I have this correctly drawn. I have attempted to isolate the switched outlet from the rest of the circuit by using a 14/3 coming out of the outlet with the black wire as the hot by-passing the outlet with a pigtail to the COM terminal on the first switch, the red wire as the load going straight from the outlet to the COM terminal on the second switch (see link to diagram). Thanks for your help

outlet with 3-way switch

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks