Two Fans--One Hum

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed two identical "Hampton Bay" remote control ceiling fans. One is quiet, but the other one makes an (electrical sounding) humming sound that increases with fan speed.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there's something loose, it's inside the motor housing and not something that I can fix. I tightened the heck out of everything I had to tighten during the installation.

It sounds like the humm or buzz you hear when using certain dimmer switches.

R

Rancher

If it's a variable speed fan then it's using a triac based circuit to chop the 120 vac so the fan runs slower, the humming is probably the windings, you could take it apart and try some silicone or hot glue on the open spaces. Or you could take to back to HD.

Rancher

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any idea why one would make the noise and the other one would not make it?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i agree it's a good question. First, can you swap the two and see what noises the two make then? If the noise goes with the dimmer, it's the dimmer. Why? Well, we'll get to that, umm, OK?

If the noise goes stays with the circuit and fan, it's that. (duh). Then, it would either be the fan or the circuit (duh0).

After all that, i'll be glad to add other duhhmb remarks guessing about possibilities. I also like to mention inductive loads and power factors. so give me a chance to say it please.

David :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One could have a bent or rusted shaft or a funky bearing, which presents a different load. If the shaft is chromed (unlikely) the plating may be uneven or coming off creating a different load. Do they have the same diameter and length of ducts? Are you sure that the damper is opening? Are the ducts actually unobstructed (bird's nest in one)?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
geniescience said:
If the noise goes with the dimmer, it's the dimmer.

The light has a remote control dimmer, but it doesn't make any noise when dimmed or dimming.

The fan is a remote control 3-speed fan. It makes a loud humm as the fan speed increases.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
One could have a bent or rusted shaft or a funky bearing, which presents a different load. If the shaft is chromed (unlikely) the plating may be uneven or coming off creating a different load. Do they have the same diameter and length of ducts? Are you sure that the damper is opening? Are the ducts actually unobstructed (bird's nest in one)?

There's no damper and no ductwork. This is a 5-blade, 3-speed ceiling fan with dimable light. It is remote-controlled from a hard-wired switch on the wall to a receiver hidden in the mounting bracket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks