Finishing Cement Board

Users who are viewing this thread

viennamicro

Reaction score
I'm replacing my bathroom walls with cement board and need to know how to finish them - specifically, what is the "skim coat" material I should use on it?

I thought about drywall mud, but after thinking on it some more, I don't believe it's a good idea. I plan to put up a tub surround in the shower and I want to paint the walls.

Can anybody help on this one?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
plaster you buy as dry powder and then mix with water will be a bit better than drywall compound, because of the way it holds together better when moisture gets into it.

outside of the shower surround, how much water will get on the wall?

david

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, except around the tub/shower, cbu is not generally particularly useful. Normal drywall outside of the shower is fine. In the tub/shower, install a vapor barrier on the walls first, lap it over the tub's tiling flange, cut it off after you get the cbu up.

The setting wall compound is a little stronger outside of the shower, but the premixed stuff should work as well. WIthout the tapers, it is a little harder to get a nice joint, but possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks