Installing body jets in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Scot

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about installing body jets in a shower. I bought some hansgrohe body jets and it says to install a test nipple to each drop-eared ell, then finish the wall (which will be tiled), then mark the nipple flush with the wall and subtract 7/16" so that the nipple will be recessed 7/16" behind the finished surface of the wall. So I have 2 questions:

1) how do you cut the nipple to that length, do I just use a hack-saw and not worry about the cut end's threads or do I use some sort of tool (a file maybe) to fix the threads at the cut end.

2) once the pipe is the proper length how do you screw the nipple to the drop-eared ell? It seems to me that I can't get a pipe wrench around the end because it is recessed into the wall.

I was thinking that I could just install everything to the correct length when I do the rough-in since I know that the backer (1/2") plus tile (3/8") width, but I'm not sure how much thickness the thin-set/kerdi sheet will add and the instructions seem to indicate that it needs to be accurate to 1/16" or do I have some wiggle room with that figure.

Thanks for your advice,

Scot

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You hope that you have set the DE elbow the proper distance behind the surface so the conventional inch, or half inch, increment brass nipples will work. YOU cannot cut threads to make one work, and most threading companies do not have the necessary device either.
2. When you tighten the head onto the pipe it will also tighten the pipe into the elbow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks