PEX with Baseboard Heat????

Users who are viewing this thread

skull141994

Reaction score
I'm looking at moving a baseboard register to make a door way to the adjoining room. Although it could be replumbed with copper access is limited and I thought it would be MUCH easier to use PEX instead.

I can get a Zurn 3/4" crimp tool and the local home stores have the tubing and fittings. I'm just not sure if this is a good approach.

Questions:
1. Can you use PEX with baseboard heat?
2. If answer to one is yes, can the PEX be the same as the material used in a water supply as long as its rated to 80psi @ 200F or should the tubing be of the radiant floor kind?
3. How important is the oxygen barrier? Would I need tubing with an oxygen barrier to keep the boiler components on the boiler from rusting out?

Love this forum...all input is appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pex

1. Yes.
2. This is answered by #3.
3. Heating pipes do need the oxygen barrier to prevent assimilation of oxygen which will cause premature failure of the components, since they are designed for a closed system, with the oxygen leached out of it.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Sorry to say but Im not big fan of plastic water piping and would do it in
copper.For baseboard heating.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
If you do decide to go with pex use another brand besides zurn. They have a class-action lawsuit against them right now for fittings breaking.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Livin4Real said:
If you do decide to go with pex use another brand besides zurn. They have a class-action lawsuit against them right now for fittings breaking.
what brand would be best?

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Vanguard is the best according to most installers I've talked with, but it's also 3x the price of the others. I'm using vanguards manabloc but using nibco fittings and tubing (durapex) found at m enards. I'm new to pex as well, so hopefully someone else with more pex experience will chime in.

skull141994

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies. I'll need to see if I can find another supplier or just use copper.

I didn't realize zurn was having problems. Lucky me I just put in a couple of their fittings :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks